16 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2008 2:34 PM by Bill Rose

Modfiy Configuration dialog & how to use it

Bill Rose
      Back in the olden days (v2007 or before) you could edit a dimension and have a choice between 'All Configurations', 'This configuration' and 'Specify Configurations'. The dimension that had been edited could be applied to specific configurations by highlighting them in the list.

Now we have this new dialog and it doesn't seem to work that way. I edit a dimension, choose 'Specify Configurations' and when I CTRL-Click to highlight multiple selections the dimension for those configurations do not change. The old dialog was much more usable in that you didn't have to CTRL-Click to select various configs and when you selected them they actually changed. It appears you can edit each dimension in the list manually but who wants to do that?

Also, the dimensions assigned to the various configs appear in a column next to the configuration name but they are .xxx precision even if the dimension you're editing is .xxxx precision. It is impossible to tell what the dimensions really are by looking at that list. Why did they change this tool? Wasn't it working OK before?? Is there some functional work-around for this or is this another problem that only my machine seems to have?

I'm beginning to hate 2008......Bill
        • Modfiy Configuration dialog & how to use it
          Mark Kaiser
          I believe editing the list manually in the modify configurations dialog box is the only way to go for changing multiple configs at once, but, there's always design tables!

You can also right click on a dimension and select 'configure dimension' from the menu. This is a another way to the modify configurations dialog box.
              Bill Rose

Mark,

'Configure Dimension' takes me to the same useless dialog box. Design tables are overkill for 99.999% of the stuff I do.

The edit dimension function has three choices and only two of them work as they should (and as they have for years). You cannot 'Specify Configurations" to change to the edited dimension with any of the tools in 2008 that I have found and certainly not the one that was formally used for that purpose.

This is a major problem for me, it makes configurations much more difficult to manage. What I can't understand is how this happened -- losing functionality from a long list of previous versions. Is this a bug?? Does anyone that writes code at SWx actually use the program or use configurations? Didn't the beta testers raise hell when this was changed for the worse? Does SWx listen to those in the beta program? Sometimes it seems that things get changed for the sake of change and not for any benefit to the users and often to our detriment.

Can anyone tell I'm unhappy.........Bill
                  Mark Kaiser
                  The configuration that isn't working, is there anything else that could be driving the dimensions, like an external reference, equation, being linked to another dimension, or being a derived configuration? Just trying to throw out suggestions to check.
                      Wayne Tiffany
                      I don't think the real issue here is one config in particular not changing, I think it's the fact that the way to change a "random" set of configs to a common value takes much longer than it used to.

With 2007, etc. it was fairly quick to pick that one, that one, that one and finish the job. Now you don't have that same interface - you are presented with the new "configure" dialog that doen't change the values just by selecting them. You have to spend the time to paste a value into each individual box. And with the funky click-select method to get into the edit mode, it's rather slow and cumbersome.

I have also seen that when getting into that dialog, you have to set the value that you thought you had already set outside going into that dialog. If you don't do it for that current config inside, it doesn't happen at all - not even for that config.

I think the new dialog can be quite handy in what it allows, such as the ability to show more than one dim per config there, able to add a new config with a dim there, etc, but it certainly was a step backwards as to the speed of changing multiple configs to the same value.

The other frustrating thing about this dialog is that the box always opens small - it doesn't remember where it was or even autosize. If you have more than a couple configs, then every time you have to resize the box to see them.

Oh, and I was a beta tester and I did raise some of these issues. Unfortunately not everything I asked for was granted. :-))

WT
                          Jason Capriotti
                          Maybe I'm missing something but the old way of doing it is still there and works the same. You can change a value and select "Specify configs" still.
                            Bill Rose
                            Wayne,

You are correct, my main complaint is that you cannot pick a random group of configurations an change the dimensions in one step. I used this feature often before 2008 and now it's gone. It was key to using configurations effectively, at least for me.

I figured they didn't listen to the beta testers. It really sounds like the guys writing code need to be aware of how the program is being used. Clearly they're not and they don't choose to listen to those that do know how it's used in the real world.

I agree the dialog needs to either remember it's set size (between sessions please!) or autosize. But if they don't add the old functionality back into it, I don't care what size it is, I have little use for it.

I have found very few of 2008's UI changes that actually improve workflow. That and the general sluggishness of 2008 and you have a real pig to deal with in terms of trying to get something done. I almost dread using SWx these days......Bill
                                Wayne Tiffany
                                I think the functionality of that new dialog could be useful in this situation if you could Ctrl-select the configs and it would change the values in the cells to match the value you had typed going in. That way you would still have the new abilities (which I like) and not lose the quickness of easily selecting multiple configs to set to the same value.

WT
                                    Bill Rose
                                    Wayne,

I'm not sure I like that dialog box popping up when I'm specifically asking the edit one dimension and apply it to multiple configs. It may have other useful functions but it doesn't help me for the one task I'm asking to perform.

The old dialog could have been designed to be re-sized or to autosize to eliminate the need to scroll but that's the only thing I'd change. Being able to have many dimensions represented in the new dialog is useless to me -- I don't know the dimensions by their names, only by their locations in the model. I don't need to add configs with that dialog either, there's a better place to do that. What purpose does this new dialog box serve for you? I'm still wondering what it's good for.

If the idea of this multi-purpose dialog is to save the programmer's efforts, well, I honestly don't care about that. If they want to save effort, they could quit changing the UI for no good reason and work on important stuff like bugs and crashes. Taking away functionality is anti-user (anti-customer).....Bill
                                Bill Rose
                                Mark,

No, there's nothing I know of in the way of those configuration's dimensions that would prevent changing them as a group (except another poor interface choice by SWx).....Bill