67 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 7:42 AM by Towab Muhammad Yusuf

What do you think of general tables in Drawings?

Matthew Lorono

What do you think of general tables in drawings?  How are you using general tables?  What have you found that you cannot do with general tables?  Are there additional controls you'd like to have for general tables to modify their look or layout?  Have you experienced any difficulties with their use in Drawings or Models? 

• Re: What do you think of general tables in Drawings?
          John Matrishon

Hey Matt, I'm still waiting for the day to have GD&T feature control frames work inside tables.  In particular, Revision tables.   The only way we've been able to get them into tables has been to make an annotation note with the FCF then copy/paste the contents into the cell.  The behavior is doesn't follow nicely though.  While the cell is active it looks correct, but after it is jumbled, and editing is a problem too.  To get around that, we use as much verbiage as possible. 

Table FCF 1.JPG

Table FCF 2.JPG

JM

Jeremy Feist

We would like to be able to put blocks into table cells ( we went with blocks instead of a custom symbol file). or as a workaround, if we coold select the blocks with the table to move them all at once, would be helpful.

John Stoltzfus

General Tables?  - I am assuming that includes BOM's REV and others

For me -

BOM's being able to use the Indented BOM selection and then be able to edit the position of indentation.  For an example save a Indented BOM as an Excel file, then open the Excel file and sort the entire worksheet, to do a correct sort for all the components you need to delete all the spaces ahead of the first number or letter. 

BOM's be able to save out a BOM to Excel, to make additional changes (where it's quicker to work than in SW when you have large assemblies), then be able to drop the changed BOM back into the drawing and the properties remain linked and parametric.

REV's - When using multiple sheet drawings, be able to have the rev table as individual or stand alone per sheet, rather than the rev be across the entire drawing file.  Example if there are 10 sub assemblies and in one sub assembly there is a part that needs to be changed and the rev bumped, the changes reflect only what is changed, the other 9 other assemblies haven't been affected by the part modification. 

Matthew Lorono

John,  thank you for your input.  Have you tried this setting for Revision tables?

6-8-2016 11-04-10 AM.png

Matthew Lorono

John,

About your use of BOMs with Large Assemblies, would you be able to provide example for evaluation with an eye towards performance improvements?

John Stoltzfus

In our ECN process we have an external Excel file in a two page format, the cover sheet covers all the changes we need to make to either an assembly or specific parts and page two is as shown below.  I set up a bom based on the information we need to collect:

The issue for me is that it is difficult to save out a large BOM (Ours are small in comparison less than 100 parts).  I use multiple sheet drawings and I have about 4-6 cover sheets that I use and one cover sheet is set up to drop in an assembly to compile my ECN BOM.  For this step I use the indented BOM which includes all my sub-assemblies and parts.

Because of the way we do our sub-assemblies the Bom becomes very long and cumbersome... Shown below is one of our Beds,(not a lot of parts in a bed, right), but this style we have 5 sizes and 10 unique configurations, with 120 page multi sheet drawing,  I used only one size for the example below.  There are some interchangeable components that are only in the one drawing set.

Highlighted below is the drawing, the red block is parts only and the looonnnnggg black area - (953 rows, is the actual indented BOM... (The follow assembly order is un-checked)  - Yes I could do the parts only and then save out the top level sub-assembly BOM's but for this project I have over 20 different sub-assemblies, so I would need to save, open, cut and paste all that information into one Excel file, good chance to miss components or assemblies.  I like the indented BOM only because it lists everything.

I right click the BOM, (wait 2 minutes before the dialog box comes up), and do a save as an Excel file (wait another 10-15 minutes till it saves) and then I open the spreadsheet and sort by part number.  Since the BOM is indented the amount of spaces in front of the part number doesn't compile all the parts in on area, then I delete or try to delete all the redundant parts, since their not all in the same sort area I usually end up with a few that I missed.  Then I go line by line and delete all the spaces in front of the Part Number, once that's done, I sort the spreadsheet again and look for double part numbers etc.

Before Sort...

After Sort...

The final Sort after deleting the spaces...

What would be nice?  Being able to use the indented BOM style with an option to take out the indentation or have a quicker way of going to and from Excel, or have the Assembly Visualization BOM more than 5 columns.

Tom Helsley and Daen Hendrickson bring up really good points as well.

Jim Steinmeyer

Something John Stoltzfus mentioned in a thread I was just reading would be the ability to place BOMs in an assembly start part template.

I am currently attempting to place an anchor point for the Rev. table and am having trouble as the top corner of the table attaches to the anchor. Then the table builds downward when edited. I need the table to anchor at the bottom corner so it builds up. Probably an easy solution but as usual the helpless Help Files in SW completely ignore any mention of it.

Vladimir Urazhdin

Add an ability to link elements to Global Variables:

Capture.JPG

Chris Saller

I have not had any issues using them in drawings. I don't use tables in models.

I would like to add the capability of total width (in addition to the current column width).

Jim Sculley

I would like the ability to put a general table in the sheet format, which is not currently possible. Since EPDM has no understanding of, or connection to, the SOLIDWORKS Revision table, we use a general table that is automatically populated as part of our EPDM workflow with a 'rolling revision' scheme.  Since users never have to enter data in this table, I would prefer that it live in the sheet format to prevent accidental changes.

Jim Sculley

It would also be helpful to have anchor points per general table.  I may have several general tables that appear on all drawings and want them to always be in the same place.  If every time a general table was placed a new individual anchor point became available, that would be great.

Marshall Wilson

Thanks for the inquiry Matt -

I have been unable to copy a range of cells from SW table and paste into an Excel file (though it works in the other direction). This would be a helpful feature.

An anchor point as previously mentioned would be good too.

Also - why doesn't my primary text formatting tool-bar work with Tables? I always have to click on the "Use Document Font" icon at the left of the Table toolbar to reveal a special text tool-bar for formatting the Table text. Not a big deal but just a minor annoyance.

Thanks!

Eric Henderson

It would be nice to be able to add a row by tabbing to the end of the table rather than having to RMB, insert, row below.

Jim Steinmeyer

After working this afternoon setting up new drawing templates I would like the ability to select which corner of the REV table to attach to the anchor in the initial screen. As it is now I select that I want to create a rev table and the rev manager opens. In the manager I select that I want it to attach to the anchor and exit. The table attaches to the anchor then I have to reopen the manager to select which corner of the table I want to attach to the anchor. Several steps could be saved if I could select the corner the first time around.

Daen Hendrickson

I am using SW2014 SP5 so perhaps some of this has been addressed.

• Auto adjust of row height is one-directional. It will increase to fit multi-line text, but it never goes back to the default / template value if the text is subsequently reduced. See some pictures below
                                      • Reordering rows - If I select a row the "edit" toolbar pops up just above the row I have selected. That is a logical place for it... most of the time. If I select the row with the intent of dragging it to a new position, the edit popup is nearly ALWAYS in the way. it would be nice if it had some logic to "move" if a row is being dragged to a new position.
                                      • Speaking of the edit toolbar - It is missing half the stuff. Why must I RMC > Format. Put these things on the edit popup.
                                      • When I grab a row / column separator, give me additional control at or near the mouse location. Sure I can grab and drag to some random width / height. But show me the actual numerical value of the size AND allow me to type in digits right there without RMC>Format>Row Height> popup at the last remembered place instead of near the row clicked just like the edit popup.
                                      • Formula consistency - It has been long enough ago I don't recall the specifics and perhaps this has been addressed. I was attempting to use formulas in a table. After EXTENDED trials and tribulations, it turns out a table requires an IIF() construct and the equations editor uses and IF() construct. Or maybe the other way round. Seems an odd disconnect within the same product.
                                      • Specific to BOM tables and Stacked Balloons - When I RMC on a balloon and select "Add to Stack" I would like the option to select a row in the table as well as items in the graphics view. Makes adding hidden/internal items easier.

Here is a standard BOM

And here I have narrowed up column "D" to cause the row height to auto-increase

And here I have double-clicked on the column separator between "D" and "E" to auto-resize column "D" to the widest content. Look at the varied row heights... It might be nice to be able to set default row heights in document properties and provide and easy way to reset table rows to that default.

Daen

Matthew Lorono
                                          • Auto adjust of row height is one-directional. It will increase to fit multi-line text, but it never goes back to the default / template value if the text is subsequently reduced. See some pictures below

There's been improvements to Tables since SW2013 which address this item.  I believe we made some good fixes in SW2014 or SW2015 with the use of Celling Padding, which you have access to with the pop-up bar when you highlight a cell.

• Reordering rows - If I select a row the "edit" toolbar pops up just above the row I have selected. That is a logical place for it... most of the time. If I select the row with the intent of dragging it to a new position, the edit popup is nearly ALWAYS in the way. it would be nice if it had some logic to "move" if a row is being dragged to a new position.

I believe you'll see better behavior for the pop-up menu in SW2015.

Thank you for everyone item on your list.

Tom Helsley

I like the idea of having uniform row heights, but after thinking about this a bit more, it would be nice if we could have a table option to use the same row height for all rows in the table.  I know it generally looks better with uniform row heights, but sometimes, there isn't enough space - and I don't want to split the table, so I want some rows shorter than others.

Tom Helsley

Just general tables?  Okay, here is what I think:

• Snapping tables to geometry on the sheet format only works if the geometry is NOT in a block.  Since all of my drawing sheet formats use blocks for the borders, title, etc., it would be really helpful if the general tables would also snap to geometry in blocks.
                                            • Force UPPERCASE text - it works for notes, why not tables (and why not dimensions)?
                                            • Copy & paste to/from Excel - We can copy excel contents to general SolidWorks tables, but not the other way around.  We can export by doing a save as, but often, I don't want to create another file just for some temporary edits, or that is going to go into something else.
                                              Tom Helsley

Since there is some discussion on BOM tables, I'll add my $.02, in order of importance (greatest to least)...

1. "Parts only" BOMs can only show one configuration at a time, but we need the ability to show multiple configurations in the "Parts only" BOM, just like the "Top-level only".  My company has needed this ability in "Parts-only" BOMs forever.  I've asked for it each year in the SWW top-ten list, and there have been some enhancement requests for it, but nothing has changed after all of these years.  Why is it so important to have this ability?  My company uses BOM tables to call out the material heat treat, and finish of detail parts on drawings.  Often, the drawings cover multiple configurations (part numbers), and we need to list them all in the detail drawing's BOM table.  Design tables don't work well for this sort of thing.  Design tables require extra effort, knowledge and skills that not everybody has.  It is far simpler to manually add a row to a BOM table and type in the data, but the data isn't linked to the other configurations of the model.
                                              2. Sort order - In some assembly drawings, there are multiple configurations that are listed in the BOM.  For some parts or configurations of parts that exist in one assembly configuration, but not another, the parts sometimes don't appear in the right order if "Follow assembly order" is turned on.  It is kind of hard to explain this, but I'll give it a try.  For example, I have an assembly that has 10 parts, and configurations named "-1", "-3".  The first component in the "-1" assembly configuration uses a "-999" configuration, but the "-3" assembly configuration uses the "-998" configuration.  The "-998" component might end up as item 11 in the BOM, or it might end up as 12, 13, etc. if other components are also different in the assembly's "-3" configuration.  The workaround is to turn off "Follow assembly order", manually move the components around in the BOM, then turn on the "Do not change item numbers" option.  If a rebuild later re-orders the BOM, I simply sort by the item numbers again.  But, if there are more component changes later, this workaround doesn't work so well.  I have to repeat the previous steps.
                                              3. Configuration QTY column positions - It doesn't matter which order I turn them on, but they always get added in an order that is different from what I want.  For example, if my assembly has configurations named "-1", "-3", and "-5", and I add just the -1 to the configuration table, it appears on the left side of my BOM table, just like I have my template setup.  If I add the "-3" configuration next, I want it added to the left of the "-1" column, but it might appear to the right instead.  Later, adding the "-5" column, it might get inserted between the "-1" and "-3" QTY columns.  I know, I can drag the columns around, but it is annoying, and it is extra steps.
                                                Rick Becker

BOM's

We track, Gantt Chart style, using our BOM's in a customized "A" sized border.

My current BOM is 11 pages long.

To get the 11 paged I need to split the BOM. Each sheet fits only 24 items.

If I add parts to my assembly the new parts are added to the BOM on the First page of BOMs. It add them directly after the first 24 items and rises up and off the sheet border.

The only way I know how to fix this is to combine the split BOMs into one tall BOM, sort by Det# then split the BOM again.

Just a time consuming PIA.

At the very least, any new parts should be added to the end of the LAST page of a split BOM.

Thank you.

Matthew Lorono

Rick,

Have you used Automatic Horizontal Split on your BOM table?  It will maintain your splits to always be a certain number of rows.

Rick Becker

Matthew,

Thank you that works perfectly. Makes the job just a little bit easier.

Of course, I still have 11 BOM's that need to be spread over 11 different tabs, in proper order, and then aligned to the borders in each tab...

Here's another quirk to fix. When I am on BOM Tab-1 (out of 11) and Merge Table, why do they merge on the last sheet (tab)? I need to move and align all eleven BOMs. If it merged at the sheet I am currently on, I would only need to move and align ten.

Rick Becker

John,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I have run the macro and edited it to see what it is doing and I don't understand what specifically this is used for or how it saves time. I'm sure that I don't understand because my workflow is different from yours. Could you possible elaborate on what/how/why/when you use this macro?

Here is a view of my assembly drawing. The first 5 tabs are the drawing assembly views of my progressive die and the next 11 tabs are my BOM. After splitting up the BOM and dragging each split BOM to its proper sequential sheet (and placing each one correctly on the border) it's a simple edit to change the SHT# to the correct X OF X.

How could your macro work under these conditions?

BOM-View.jpg

Rick

Aaron Heathcote

We are having a lot of trouble with BOMs and feel there is a lot that could be improved to help us.

BOM PROBLEMS

Duplicates:

Our usual file structure is always something like this:

FILE STRUCTURE.png

It might be 4 or it might be 50 sub assemblies and within each sub assembly there are multiple different parts, some are the same.

A major problem with the BOM is that it doesn't show the total qty of 1 part for the whole job. see example below:

duplicates.png

This is just a small section of a BOM for a job i was working on this morning.

As you can see there are multiple duplicates (see the dark blue for instance, there are actually 12 in total although you can only see 9 in this part of the BOM)

Its a huge pain for my fabricators to look through this BOM to find duplicate parts and cuts.

What our current work around is:

Insert BOM Table (Indented & Detailed Cut List) into Drawing

Save the BOM as CSV file

Open CSV and Create Pivot Table

With the Pivot Table we then create something like:

p2.png

So what we did there is get the pivot table to sort out the duplicates and then copied it to the cells to the right.

More Than 1 Number:

These cuts in the pivot table are for only 1 number of the master assembly. Our customers may have ordered 15 of them so what we then do in the Total QTY is multiply the QTY column by the number ordered within the CSV file.

As you can see this is a pain and also we will at some point get errors if the drawings change and no one picks up on it.

What we would like to see is a pivot table type option to sort the BOM out, this table would then get updated if the assemblies were to be changed and the total quantities were to update removing any possible errors.

QTY Column:

If we were then to have a QTY column that works like a pivot table for 1 number master assembly we could then have an equation in that column which could multiply by the number ordered. (We currently have a custom property for "Quantity" that we input the number ordered and this shows up in drawing)

CUT LIST PROBLEMS

If we were to have BOM as described as above, that would be great. But the Cut List items still have a lot of work to go also, please see the post I posted a few weeks ago on the forum:

Cut List -45 or +45 Values for Saw

The basic points of this are:

Cut angles don't describe which direct the cut is

the cut angles don't show which face the cut is on.

Hopefully I've explained these problems that we have enough for you to understand, I would love to have these features.

Aaron.

John Matrishon

Matt - I'd also like to have the revision balloon font/height controlled separately from the Document font.  Currently we make our rev balloons a smaller font size, and you have to either change it right before placement or after.

Kenneth Andersen

Hi Matthew

ohhh Yes i have som issue about BOM and i have for many many year, see this link about the problem in BOM

Ballon linked to a line in BOM

it would be great if SW got this problem solved after years of BOM where you do not have the ability to attach a balloon

I hope you have influence to get this problem solved in SW soon.

Kind Regards

Kenneth Andersen

Mountain Top Industries

Denmark

Jim Steinmeyer

Matthew,

Don't know if this goes with general tables but I have just come across another challenge. On drawings of formed sheetmetal parts we add a second sheet with a full sized flat pattern for a DXF pattern. We also use a counter on the drawing that indicates "sheet 1 of 1" as shown below. The counter is very handy so the shop knows they have all of the information. Unfortunately since the DXF sheet would usually be blank it is not given out but is counted with the index counter and the shop is left not knowing if they can rely on the counter or not. To my knowledge there is not a way without API magic (which none here knows) to get the counter not to count DXF sheets but to count all other sheets. This would be a very useful feature as I am sure many companies use the counter.

Capture.PNG

Rick Becker

I have a bill of materials. It is associated with a specific drawing view.

How do I edit/change which view it is associated with? I cant find how to edit it.

Thank you in advance.

Rick

Cristopher Bowers

1. The ability to place multiple general table anchors or lock a table in place. Current workaround is to anchor a table at one spot, uncheck the anchor box, set a new anchor location, then anchor the next table, uncheck box, and so on and so forth. The problem is that tables can accidentally be moved after removing the anchor.

2. Inherit the all caps document setting.

3. Set overall height and width

Fraser Port

+1 Force uppercase to entire table.

+1 Copy and paste from BOM to Excel to save using the save as Excel option.

Be able to drag to change the width of the right hand column.

Tom Helsley

I just remembered something else that I wish SolidWorks would do in BOM tables.  When users manually edit the cells of the BOM table and break the link with the custom properties, I'd like to see a visual indicator on the screen (only), in the same fashion as the sigma indicator that shows the cell is formula-driven.  Perhaps show a broken link icon in a corner of the cell.  This would be a tremendous help in error/integrity checking and troubleshooting BOMs.  I can't tell you how often my users break the link and manually edit despite all the training and preaching about not breaking the link with the custom properties.

EDIT:  If you like this idea, please vote for SPR 850274.

Jim Steinmeyer

Matthew,

I have been working with BOM tables lately and every time I edit it to sort the list it is set to sort by "item #" and I have to change it to sort by "part number", every time. Could the last used sort be stickied so it doesn't need to be changed every time?

John Stoltzfus

When inserting a BOM of an assembly that has multiple columns, it would be nice to be able to delete the column you don't want.  You need to select the column and "Hide Selected"

Aaron Heathcote

Matthew, I made another post which we have discovered another problem regarding BOMs and Weldments together., would love if you could take a look and look into implementing something to make this a possibility.

Total Weldement Cuts for Multiple Assemblies

Elmar Klammer

Working with a BOM should be easy and fast. The functionality of tables is to view and enter/modify data. The SW BOM's is clunky, slow and dreadful to work with. I don't want a graphic refresh everytime a cell is selected in a BOM. Give me the option to display BOM's just like Design tables in its own window.

What's there to ask. Open up an Excel spreadsheet and use it. If SW can emulate the speed and diversity of Excel than it has a good tool.

I want to ability to format text, filter, copy & paste on the fly from Excel to SW and back while maintaining links to part or assembly properties, filter by type (asm, part, weldment, sheetmetal, toolbox, ballooned items), interoperability between parts and weldment bodies, ctr or shift select assemblies to dissolve, option to only show hide all items without a balloon!!!! (don't even think to link to display states, they are so out of whack if will only end up in a mess), autosize columns (expand & shrink dynamic), use of equations without the dreadful SW syntax (reuse Excel functionality and stop inventing sub-standard enhancenments that are down grades the most). Make sure fractions can be copied back and forth from excel without turning into dates.

Fix that flyout to the left of the BOM that only has a tiny tab in the half way down the BOM (hint: put it at the top of the table - that's where most people start reading). In particular with larger BOM's, it feel like geo caching to find it.

Indented BOM's with cutlist items should have to option to merge cutlist rows ( A single body sheetmetal for instance displays as two line items, one showing the part info the other showing the cutlist info. What for? Let me rephrase. I want the sheetmetal extends info. A toggle to display single sheetmetal parts as single line item using either custom property or cutlist properties would be great and finally gives me easy access to blank sizes).

Another big enhancement would be to add a column to the BOM that let's me define a custom property or cutlist property that writes back to the part or assembly. The ability to filter the BOM would be massive. If I can filter all cutlist items and then add cutlist properties only that would be functionality. If I can filter parts and enter custom or config properties to the filtered list only. Yehaa. BOM's purpose is mainly to crunch meta data. The crunch should be fast. speed matters. Toggle option - link bom to all views. 99% that's the case. Oh and by the way, the material column should be able to link to the material data base that I use in the part if it is linked to "SW-Material@part.sldprt". What would make material changes so easy & consistent.

All in all, keep things simple. Make the function reliable. The last thing I need is a new interface that is buggy. Don't ask me to create an enhancement request, you are reading it right now. Writing it up for SW is not my job.

Elmar

Tom Helsley

Let's be clear about BOMs.  Anyone who worked with the old Excel BOMs knows what a royal pain in the #$%*&! they were.  The SolidWorks BOM tables are a HUGE improvement over Excel BOMs.  Don't ever go back to Excel BOMs.  It took a long time for the SolidWorks BOMs to get where they are now, but they can still use some improvement like speed and other items that we have mentioned. 

On that note, I still cannot believe that after more than 14 years of asking for it, we cannot show multiple configurations for Part-only BOMs.  That is by far my biggest complaint (see one of my earlier posts in this discussion).

Elmar Klammer wrote:

Another big enhancement would be to add a column to the BOM that let's me define a custom property or cutlist property that writes back to the part or assembly.

Elmar, with the SolidWorks BOM tables, you can add a column and link it to a custom property.  Once that custom property is linked to the column, you can edit the values in that columns and have the data propagate back to the file's custom properties .  Have you tried that, or am I missing something here?

John Stoltzfus

Elmar, with the SolidWorks BOM tables, you can add a column and link it to a custom property. Once that custom property is linked to the column, you can edit the values in that columns and have the data propagate back to the file's custom properties .

He will need to save those changes as a new template.

Agreed with the Excel comment

Elmar Klammer

Hi Tom,

You got the idea wrong. I work with Solidworks BOM's most of the time. First, what I said was to incorporate Excel's ease of functionality into Solidworks BOM's. Second, you missed the subtle detail of filtering BOM's and then add properties. Same as Excel, where I can filter tables and modify filtered cells only. Simple scenario. A Bom with parts and sub assemblies. Lets say I want to add custom properties to parts only. The idea is to filter the BOM by parts then add a column for a new property and SW only writes that information only to the currently displayed items in bom. That function is not available. So now imagine, I can filter sheetmetal, cutlist items....with this function I can manage all properties within a BOM without opening the part itself and writing to config props, custom props or cutlist props.

Maybe that explains it.

Elmar

Chris Oxford

Find and replace text in an entire table (like the rest of the world, ie, word, excel, etc.) . Would be nice on all levels of SW, not just premium (if you can even do it there). To call this a feature you need to spend $1000's for is just the height of pettiness. I'm embarrassed for SW.

Also, when pasting into a cell, don't allow word wrap to change the height of the row. locking row height is cumbersome.

Allow all symbols (triangle numbers, and rev symbols, for example), to live in cells, nicely centered top to bottom.

Allow snapping to both edges of a corner, for perfect corner fit, on table drag, both at table creation and for existing tables. I can get one edge or the other in a corner, but not both.

Chris Oxford

Need better link to properties control. Need to be able to break a link to a model property, but have the text survive intact. Can't find any way to do this.

Towab Muhammad Yusuf

This table was huge. If you will want to know about soildwork latest version, you just  5 columns wide and 49 rows tall.  As a test, I created a General Table that matched the column and row count.  I then editing the Excel table to where I could access the data directly in Excel.  I copied all the cells to the clipboard.  After exiting the Excel interface,