8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 2:56 PM by Charley Saint

Slow folder data card display

Tom Helsley

In one of my vaults, it is taking about 15 seconds to display a folder's data card.  It doesn't matter which folder is selected, or which folder data card is used.  I've tried deleting all of the controls from the data card, but it still takes an awful long time to display the folder's data card.  There is an old SPR for this (747026), but it is still open.  So, I was wondering if anyone had a solution or workaround for it.  I'm currently on 2016 SP1.0.

• Re: Slow folder data card display
          Lee CS Young

Have you done any database maintenance lately? (Rebuilding indexes.)

Do you have images on the card?

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Tom, I've never seen this behavior on my system (2016 SP3). Is the folder data card retrieving any data from a list? I've seen that slow down card display particularly when the list is retrieved from a SQL database?

Have you raised this with your VAR?

Kind regards,

Prasad

Joy Garon

Hi Tom, Both Lee and Prasad have asked great questions. As Lee pointed out, regular maintenance on indexes is important to performance. And as Prasad mentioned, opening a service request is essential. Do you have a sandbox environment? If so, take a backup of your database and restore it on a sandbox system. Does the issue still persist? If so, it's not likely to be index related. Is it just folders or does it happen with files as well? Opening a service request is suggested if the performance issues persist. Regards, Joy

Tom Helsley

Thanks, Joy, Prasad, and Lee.

I hadn't thought of the index maintenance, so I'll give that a try. 

I have seen the SQL lists slow down data cards, but only for really large lists, and only when clicking on the control to show the list if it was a drop-down.  But there is nothing like that on the folder data cards.

I do have another vault for testing & training, but that one doesn't slow down when showing folder data cards. I talked to my VAR about it, but when he tried my vault DB backup on another system, it didn't slow down.  Also, when I was talking to him later, the cards were displaying quickly, but I hadn't done anything to the vault or server.

Tom Helsley

I finally got back to this issue.  Rebuilding some of the indexes seems to have done the trick.  I had to take some educated guesses though as to which indexes to rebuild.  The table indexes that I rebuilt were:

• Card Controls
                    • Cards
                    • Projects
                    • ProjectTree
                    • ProjectTreeRec
                    • VariableValue

Is there a way to schedule or rebuild all table indexes with one command?

In one of the previous SolidWorks World proceedings, I recall a particular presentation was about setting up maintenance plans and I thought it talked about rebuilding indexes.  I tried searching for it, but only the 2016 presentations are available.  I used to go to:  http://www.solidworks.com/sww/proceedings/proceedings-presentations.htm

but now, I get re-directed to http://www.solidworks.com/sww/ and nothing there lets me look at prior year SWW presentations !

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Tom, yes there is a maintenance plan you can set up in SQL to rebuild and reorganize indexes for your vault database.

In SQL Server Management Studio:

1. Expand Management

2. Maintenance Plans, right click, Maintenance Plan Wizard

3. Follow the wizard prompts and choose rebuild and reorganize indexes as the tasks, as well as the schedule to run the plan

Kind regards,

Prasad

Tom Helsley

OH! I was looking in the wrong place!  I knew I saw it somewhere before.  I kept looking in the Databases node.  Thanks, Prasad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand of Rebuild vs. Reorganize is that Rebuild does everything that Reorganize does and a lot more by deleting the indexes, the re-creating them.  Reorganize only defrags and compacts the indexes, and therefore uses fewer system resources.  So, If I do a rebuild, I don't need to do a reorganize.  What is the best/recommended situation for each method?