5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2011 7:30 PM by Aaron Moncur

Error: "Equilibrium is not achieved" how do I fix this?

Aaron Hayden
      Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help. I've got an assembly that is basically a multipiece wedge. I'm running a standard linear static study. The base block has a pocket that houses two sliding pieces inside. The two sliding pieces have complimentary angles. One sliding piece sticks out the side of the base block and the other sticks out the top of the base block. So, when you push the side wedge inwards it forces the top wedge up. There is a screw that threads into the top of the base block that resists the top piece from moving up. I want to put a load on the side wedge and see at what point the screw fails. I have set the global contact to No Penetration to allow the pieces to interact but not be welded together. Then set a bonded local contact set between the threaded portion of the screw and the tapped hole that it is threaded into. There is a plate that holds all of this assembly together and is involved in the study. I used bolt connectors where it is attached. When I run the study I keep getting the "Equilibrium is not achieved" error. Any ideas what is causing my study to fail? I would think I should be able to run this as linear because as long as the screw doesn't catastrophically fail none of the moving parts should move very far. In other words, I don't think it needs to be large displacement mode (I could be wrong). I appreciate any input you guys have. Please see attached picture for the error.

Thanks,
      Aaron