4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 5:49 PM by Neil Grant

Applying a pure tensile load from a strap or rope sling

Neil Grant
      I am analysing a seat belt pulling on a seat. Is there a way to apply a load as a closed loop seat belt would apply it with no compression or bending being applied?
      This would be very useful.
      The remote load direct transfer seems as close as I can get to simulate it, but from the example given in the cosmosworks designer course book, it seems to be able to impart a moment and deliver a compressive force.
      A general question on remote loads - if I pick 2 surfaces to apply the load on, does it apply the full force to each or 1/2 of the force to each?
      I am using sw 2006 5.1. I can also use 2007 5.0 or 2008 0.0 if that would help to simulate this.
      Thanks

Neil Grant
        • Applying a pure tensile load from a strap or rope sling
          Aaron Hayden
          Based on our understanding where I work, when you enter a force and select multiple surfaces the entire load is applied to each location (not divided by the number of surfaces).
            Fernando Cuenca

Neil Grant wrote:

A general question on remote loads - if I pick 2 surfaces to apply the load on, does it apply the full force to each or 1/2 of the force to each?

Full force to each (hence the per entity in the property manager).

Neil Grant
                I just had an occasion to apply model remote load (direct transfer) to more than one surface. For all standard forces per the help files, it applies the full force to all the selected faces. I could not find if this is the case for remote loads.
                I did a simple model of a cantilever beam with one end divided into 3 areas with split lines to determine the effect of applying a remote load to 1 face or all 3 faces. I set up 2 studies with the same mag, location and direction remote load applied to 1 face in one study and applied to 3 faces in the other.
                Results were identical for both. It does not behave like the basic force does.
                Thought I would share this.

Regards

Neil
                Bill McEachern
                Hi Neil,

check the help file for a detailed description of remote loads. The remote load function will distribute the load as per a rgid body static analysis no matter whether you pick the direct transfer or the rigid transfer option. The rigid transfer option maintains the relative positions of all the nodes on all the selections duringhte analysis (ie they are rigidly connected tot he remote load where as the direct transfer just applies the load to the repsective selections and they go where they may). Hope this helps.