10 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 2:57 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Assigning Shortcut Keys to Macros

Shawn Mills
      I get an error message when ever I try to assign a "alt+(some letter)" to a macro shortcut. I use the following method to assign the short cut key stroke:

1) Right click and select customize.
      2) Right click on the macro icon on the macro toolbar to open the macro window.
      3) Click in the short cut key box.
      4) Use the keyboard to assign the key stroke I want.

If I click the "alt" key and another key at the same time I get a pop up that says the "key is already assign". I then have to click the "OK" button in this pop up 14 times in order to get the window to finally close. Then if I type the letter I used with the "alt" key before it places "alt+(that letter)" in the shortcut box. This assign key stoke then works.

Am I missing a step or is this a bug in SolidWorks? I am running 2008 sp3.1.

I cannot assign shortcut keys to the macros in the keyboard tab of the customize window because the macros are not listed.
        • Assigning Shortcut Keys to Macros
          Wayne Tiffany
          To assign a hotkey to a macro, you have to have your macros in your SW folder in a folder called Macros - note the "s" at the end. Here is mine. C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2008\SolidWorks\Macros.

WT
              Shawn Mills
              Tested this with Macros in the Macro folder and it still does not work.
                  Wayne Tiffany
                  Hmm, I'm not seeing that. I did find that if I tried to assign a hotkey to the macro through the macro icon dialog, it didn't show up in the Customize dialog box, although it recognized the keystroke assignment.

Just a quick check - based on your reply herre, are you sure your folder is macros, not macro? It must have the "s" at the end to allow the hotkey assignment in the Customize dialog box. It might also explain your difficulty in assigning the hotkey through the icon dialog.

WT
                      Charles Culp
                      Shawn,

I am getting the same symptoms that you are.

If I try and assign a shortcut key that is already assigned, I get the multiple warnings. I am successful in adding macro shortcuts that are not already assigned. I think it is just a bug.

Also, I have multiple macros assigned to shortcut keys, and none of them are in the Macros directory. I do not have a Macros directory, which I thought was obsoleted in SW2004/5.
                          Wayne Tiffany
                          Charles,

I suspect you assigned your hotkeys to the macros through the toolbar icon dialog, not the Tools/Customize/Keyboard dialog. Correct? I just tried renaming the Macros folder and then I did not get any macros listed in the Keyboard dialog.

If that's the case, the problem with only doing it that way is that you have to create a toolbar icon for each macro you want assigned to a hotkey. This would be rather unwieldly for all the macros that we have assigned to the number keypad keys.

But either way, I'm not getting the many clicks as originally described. If my chosen key combination is already assigned, I get the warning, hit Enter for Ok, and I'm ready to try another key combination.

WT
                              Charles Culp
                              Thanks for the clarification, Wayne. What you are saying makes sense, I didn't know that technique was possible.

I will assume that there is something different causing Shawn & I to have this issue that you are not seeing. If I try and add a shortcut in the Keyboard shortcuts menu, I do not get the error, so I agree if Shawn tries that technique I would expect it to work for him.
                        Charles Culp
                        I don't know about that, Wayne.

My macros are all on the server, and I have shortcuts linked to a few of them.

I do not have an answer to the original question.
                        Shawn Mills
                        I have contacted our VAR and they could not repeat the problem on their computers, but could clearly see the problem when they remotely connected to my computer. They had me create a "Problem Capture" log of the problem and our going to forweard it to SolidWorks. I will post any updates I receive from my VAR.
                          Shawn Mills
                          I found the problem is in the Macro Toolbar. I loaded the SW 2008 default settings and then loaded my saved settings a piece at a time. As soon as I loaded the macro Toolbar the problem showed up. So to fix the problem I lost all my toolbar settings. There is a bug that causes the problem if you have a Macro Tollbar that was built in an older version. So reload the default settings and then you can load all your saved settings except the toolbars. After this the Macro toolbar works properly.
                              Wayne Tiffany
                              Interesting indeed. It reinforces my opinion that NO settings should be carried forward to a new release. I always install clean, then on the first one, spend the time to go through all the settings to see what is what out of the box and try to understand why it might be set that way. Then as I go I compare it to the way we have been running and make a determination as to what setting I want to have.

It gives me the opportunity to learn what's new, and minimizes stuff like your situation. It also makes me evaluate the whys of what we have been running and decide it that's still the best thing to do. As features are added and changed, you may not know about a change that you really should know about.

Now, beta testing is a different story! :-)

WT