12 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 4:06 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Dimension Round-off

Adrian Velazquez
      I have weldment with several sections, in my drawings I need all dimensions rounded-off to the nearest 1/16 (we use to this in Autocad), as requested by our shop. How can i do this in SolidWorks keeping all dimensions parametric???
        • Dimension Round-off
          Dustin Biber
          Within the drawing file, go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>DOCUMENT PROPERTIES>UNITS> and select the option for fractions as well as the check box for round to the nearest fraction. You will also want to change the denominator to 16.
          • Dimension Round-off
            Dustin Biber
            ah... gotcha. Just cntrl-select all of the dimensions you want to be fractional and right click > properties > in the units box, unselect use document's units. Click on the units button and do as above.

As far as an automated way to do this, you could probably create a macro to convert all selected dimensions to the format you need. You could assign the macro to an icon.

edit: I just read Wayne's reply... and re-read your replys... I missed the boat on the original topic and agree with Wayne. Rounding decimals to the nearest .0625 doesn't make a lot of sense.
            • Dimension Round-off
              Dustin Biber
              A suggestion would be to model everything based upon 16ths. This way, at least you aren't giving them fake dimensions.

Better yet, on the back side of my Stanley tape measure it lists decimal equivalents of all fractions in increments of 1/8ths, 1/16ths, and 1/32nds. Just get them new tapes.
                • Dimension Round-off
                  Wayne Tiffany
                  I think I would appeal to a higher authority on that one. Dumbing down the prints because the shop supposedly can't decifer the decimals is like everyone calling them idiots, and they probably aren't. A bit of training that came at the direction of the boss would go a long way. If they refuse to learn, then give them decimal tapes - they are much better anyway.

WT
                    • Dimension Round-off
                      Paul McGarr

monkeys on the shop can't figure the fractional value of a decimal not equal to a 16th

Wow. I hope one of those "monkeys" reads your post...really.

There are people at all levels of technical ability where I work, and when I deal with, or refer to, even the least technically inclined person, I do so with respect. In return I am respected.

Hopefully they are having a discussion about the monkey in engineering that doesn't know how to make a print they can read!
                        • Dimension Round-off
                          Joel Schmidt

Hopefully they are having a discussion about the monkey in engineering that doesn't know how to make a print they can read!

Haa, the guys in our shop complain about the monkeys in engineering who use things like 3-29/64" bolt circles...

Most of our fabricators are also machinists so they at least have conversion tables taped to the side of their tool box. But I agree that the prints should be made so they're easy to read by the shop. Lots of fractions can clutter up a drawing so why not make 'em decimals? IMHO, if they're only going to measure to the 1/16 then design the parts in 1/16's.