4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2008 12:35 AM by Kevin Silbert

Where used?

Sam S
      We are just staring our deployment of pdmwe and we are very interested in the ability to do a where used search in our database, can anyone please tell me how this can be done in pdmwe? Is this functionality included "out of the box" or will we need to develop our own program to query the DB?

Thanks

Sam
        • Where used?
          Sam S
          Ok, I found the where used tab so that when I select a document in my local view I can see where that document is used.

But...just for testing I made a copy of an assembly and renamed it to TestSam and checked that document into the vault. I browsed my local view and found a component that I know to be shared between the two assemblies that I have checked in but the where used view only shows that the components are used by the original assembly, not by the TestSam assembly. The two assmblies are exact duplicates except for the file name so all the child components should return where used results indicating that the component is used by both of the assmblies.

Can anyone explain the where used functionality to me? Or show me where in the help file it is explained. I searched for where used but it did not return any meaningful results.

Thanks
            • Where used?
              Kevin Silbert
              Only when you check in a document do the "where used" and "contains" links get updated. Local files do not have this functionality, but you should rarely get any local SolidWorks files-unless you have the addin turned off. I get lots of local files for other programs, but that's a whole other story- we have the 30 minute timeout enabled.

Anyway, you can also get lots of local SolidWorks files if you are in the habit of building SW systems in a directory other than your C:\(vaultname) directory. I find that most users are really freaked out by that concept- previously you build everything local and then check it in. But if you build from scratch in the C:\(vaultname) directory, the Where Used links are already correct when checkin time comes, and there is never any problem.

If you insist on building systems elsewhere and moving them into the C:\(vaultname) directory to check them in, you need to check in all related documents simultaneously in order for PDMWE to pick up on the references. And of course once they're checked in, you can do nearly anything and the links will stay intact. If you've ever got a problem with it not finding a reference between two files that should have references, check them out and check them back in simultaneously and it seems to work.
                • Where used?
                  Sam S
                  Kevin, thanks for your response.

I am not sure I follow everything you said so let me try to add some further clarification to what I did.

Inside a folder in my local vault view I created an assembly that contained 5 components, I checked that assembly and all components into the vault. Next I made a copy of that assembly (via windows exploer, just copy and paste) to another folder also within my local view then checked that document into the vault. Next I browsed to the folder that contains the original assembly and components (still in local view), selected one of those componets, selected the Where Used tab and pdmwe reported that the only place that component is used is in the first assembly that was checked into the vault. The results do not indicate that the componet is also used by the second assembly.

In my opinion this is very basic pdm functionality but I cannot figure out how to get the where used to report every parent for a given component.

I really hope I am missing something very simple....
                    • Where used?
                      Kevin Silbert
                      OK- I get it now... When you checked in the copy of the assembly, I assume you chose not to check in the parts; you hadn't changed them so you saw no need to (plus you hadn't checked them out, so you had no ability to check them in)?

But if I recall, there is a search algorithm that will look for referenced files during check-in; only if they are found will they get linked. I'm pretty sure that if they're in the same folder, it works fine. I know you can also add search folders from the PDMWE Administrator program (under Settings I think?). I don't recall how the SolidWorks searchable folders (Tools/Options) fit in- does it look there? Probably. And if it finds the parts in none of these locations, no link. You can work around these "no link" cases by re-checking out the assembly, and checking out the parts also, then checking in the parts and assy simultaneously. I'm not much of a PDMWE expert, but it if this is true, a good enhancement request would be to look in the last place the assembly saw the parts (or drawing saw the part or assy) when checking in documents and create links that way also. I'm a little surprised it's not doing this now, but it sounds possible.

I forgot to mention- if you do the check-in from SolidWorks, with the new assy open, there's no question it should work- the parts are open- it would have to know about the link...