6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2008 12:41 PM by Mike Sveda

Just getting started.....

Sam S
      Just started pdmwe deployment, sorry for asking what may be a very basic question.

We have kicked around a few ideas in regards to how to structure the folders; some say just structure the folders exactly the same way they are today and others have a more open mind and say "lets look for a better way".

One suggesstion has been to have the folders, at a high level, to match the state of the document as it passes through the workflow. For example we could have three folders; Development, Pending Approval and Approved. Inside each of those folders could be various sub-folders for different projects or products. When a document is first checked in and prior to being submitted for approval it would reside in the Development folder, once submitted for approval it would move to the Pending Approval folder and finally once approved it would move to the Approved folder. If it ever needed to be revised again it would be moved back to the Development folder. Doing it this way seems like it would make it easy to control permissions via the folders but I am not sure about moving the documents around that much, and what would happen to the parts and assemblies? The document being approved would be the slddrw, so would the drawing documetn be the only document being moved around and I am not sure I like the idea of the drawing being stored away from the models.

What does everyone else do? Move the documents according to workflow state and control permissions at the folder level or always leave the documents in the same folder and control permissions per user/user group for each workflow state?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

sam
        • Just getting started.....
          Wayne Tiffany
          We are a business that is project based, rather than product based, and we don't use the workflow because we don't have to. So for the most part, we keep the drawings & models together.

It scares me to think of you having to continually be moving documents around as that has to update references every time. I think I would look at how best to make it work without all that moving as every move would be an opportunity for an error somewhere.

WT
              Sam S
              Wayne thanks for your response.

So you keep everything related to one project in a single folder (and possiblly some sub-folders under that top level folder)? And those documents never get moved to a different folder. And when the project is complete the files continue to reside to those same folders?

Thanks

Sam
                  Wayne Tiffany
                  We have our vault view, and then job folder groups like 3000-3499, then the job number like 3868, then on further down with Mechanical, Structural, Electrical, Techdoc, etc. Under each of those are the appropriate folders as needed and files.

We keep job docs such as the bid docs & the bid drawings, drawing list, photos from the job site, vendor data, etc. Anything related to the job goes in there.

On one job, the guy running it wanted to try moving files between folders as a way to keep track of what had been released, sent to the shop, etc. That's the only time that has been done, and hopefully it won't happen again.

As the job winds down, the files all just stay where they are - no reason to move them. At some point we may cold storage them, but that could wait for a couple years as the little things get wrapped up.

WT