10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 6:13 PM by 1-9C36HC

Loft or sweep technique

Justin Binkley
      Hello Fellows.

I'm new to the world of surfacing and I was wonder what may be the best and most favoriable technique in complete this geometry. I completed the sketch and I'm having a hard time replicating the profile. Any ideas and suggestion I would appreciate it.

please reference the attached jpeg. I would like to attached the sldprt file but for some reason it prompts by saying the file it tried to upload isn't allowed. Is there any setting in my personal profile that I have to change to enable me to upload part files.

Sorry guess it turned into 2 questions...

Thank you,
        • Loft or sweep technique
          Troy Peterson
          I can help with the second question. All files other than JPG need to be zipped before uploading.
            Charles Culp
            Justin,

Your question depends on the result you are looking for. .zip and uploading the model would definitely help. Are you looking for a smooth transition and constant wall thickness? What is the function for each of the three holes after they are combined (I could make some assumptions, but we all know where that leads)?
              Justin Binkley
              Everyone.

I'm sorry for not responding until now. I had been tired up. Thank you for answering the file uoloading question. Please see the attachment.

To provide more design requirements; The part in fabricated out of 11GA S/S. To accurately show this model you will have a multi-piece transition in the curve rather than a smooth unrealistic curve. My intentions are to make a robust model because I would like to then create a design table to show different iterations by size requirement..

FYI. Attached is the autocad file I'm working from. Not sure if SW can create a good 3D model from this 2D file.

Thank you,
                  Leonardo Sanchez
                  Or like this ... or that
                      Justin Binkley
                      Excellent Job and thank you everyone. You hit the geometry exactly Leonardo. Surfacing is new to me and its very difficult for me to intepret how well the model was created. Importantly, how can I convert your model to the English language so I can make sense of it. Guess its part of the prt.dot file? Possibly system options...

Leonardo Sanchez

Justin Binkley wrote:

how can I convert your model to the English language so I can make sense of it. Guess its part of the prt.dot file? Possibly system options...

Do'nt know myself but I had an english template so I did them again.

- What may be hard to see is that most extrudes are with endcondition "up to vertex"
                          ( sketchvertex or facevertex ). So as to make use of the drivesketch.
                          - Also one of the trims has a contourselection. (rightklick "start contourselection"
                          either selecting regions or connected entities.)
                          - Not shure if the build is totaly robust. Trimming those "slivers" that leave a vertex
                          on one side is a bit tricky . That's why I had to do seperate trims instead of a mutual
                          trim in one case.
                              Justin Binkley
                              MORE DIFFICULTY
                              I have more geometry that I would like to be visible in the transitional area. However, I'm having difficulty making the geometry appear with the loft feature. Any idea? I wish I add experience using surfacing. Please see the attached zip.

Thanks.
                                  Matt Lombard
                                  You fell for the old "put everything in the 3D sketch" trick.

Anyway, there is a bug in SW such that if you use the Selection Manager (which you have to if you put everything into a 3D sketch), SW doesn't allow you to use connectors. You could use the 3D sketch lines as guide curves for the corners instead.

maybe this part is useful for help, and maybe not. There is a reason for using Shell instead of Thicken.

Best of luck.