5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 8:02 PM by Matt Feider

contour plot into surface

Matt Feider
      I also posted out on comp.cad.solidworks but this appears to be more active so I wanted to cross post here. I am looking for ideas on how to handle a very large physically contour plot. I would really like to do some studies on volumn.

I have a contour plot of about 4 square miles. I figure the first problem will be one of scale as this is beyond the extents of solidworks. I think that I can scale in autocad to get below the extents. Then possibly import....

The second issue is how to map a surface or something actually usable to the contour lines. I threw out the idea of a loft with each selection as that is just not workable with the number of contours. But I am wondering if there are other ideas....

Would love to hear any.
        • contour plot into surface
          If you have SolidWorks Office Premium you might be able to convert the contours into point cloud data and use ScanTo3D to generate a surface.
            Matthew,

As Charles suggested, ScanTo3D should be able to handle this quite nicely and you don't even have to create a surface - you can use the Curve wizard to quickly generate the "topo" curves in one step. Of course this depends on the density and quality of the cloud point data.

Matthew,

What kind of information are you starting with - a paper or electronic drawing?
                    Matt Feider
                    great, thanks for all the suggestions.

I actually think I answered my own question and it appears to be the same as everyone suggests. I found a tool that will convert the autocad contour plot to X, Y, Z data (for free - if anyone else is looking do a google search for 'dxf2xyz') and this resultant file is usable by the scan import tools. these tools also provide methods to map a surface through them. So it looks like I am able to get a 3D surface for my uses with just a few hours processing time. Hey I am working with half a million points.....so I wouldn't expect it to be too fast.

I did scale in AutoCAD to 1/10 scale first as I was working with data from about 8 square miles and this obviously is past the extents of a solidworks part. But after the scale I am going to calculate volumn and just multiply back by 10^3. I think it will actually work well.....

or at least once I fix the surface as there are a few errors that come in.

--Matt