0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 7:53 PM by Mark Kooy

Anisotropic Modeling?

Mark Kooy

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone offer advice for me in entering anisotropic (but NOT ORTHOTROPIC) material info into my simulation?

I need to model pure single-crystal Silicon, as used in the semiconductor industry.  The material has 3 main stiffness axes; the first 2 are perpendicular, and the 3rd one is 45 degrees off from them.

Solutions offered by colleagues and tech support include:

• ignoring the 45-degree issue and simply entering the 3rd set of coefficients as though they apply to a 3rd orthogonal axis
      • 'converting' the 45-degree stiffness into an 'effective stiffness' in the 3rd orthogonal axis
      • using a different simulation package that permits me to enter the constitutive relations directly

I like the last solution, except for the idea of using a different package.  Surely there is a way to get SolidWorks to accept the required relations?  That is, if one assumes it is using the full tensor material description 'under the hood'.

Does anyone know?  Is there any hope for my simulation?

The first two solutions suggested above might not be so bad, if I had any way of understanding what the magnitude of error is, in the displacement results.

(By the way, for now I am happy keeping the simulation to Linear Elastic *anisotropic* - unless the use of some other model enhances the simulation capabilities in a way that helps solve the 45-degree problem.)

Thanks for any reply.