3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2008 8:01 PM by Anthony Botting

How to add Yield Strength to plastics?

Steven Sheldon
      Hello,

I am evaluating SolidWorks using a Student Edition I purchased through JouryneyEd. Though I have worked in design for 17 years I am also going to school and so I can purchase software like this legitimately.

I am trying out the FEA capabilities of the software. I have imported a STEP file of a plastic handle from our current CAD software, Solid Edge. I am working through the wizard and it says "No Yield Strength has been defined" or words to that effect.

When I go into the material properties and select plastic -> ABS PC I can see some material properties listed, but Yield Strength is not among them. When I edit the properties I see no option to add new properties.

How can I add Yield Strength to the ABS PC material in the Solid Edge Materials Database?
        • How to add Yield Strength to plastics?
          1. You can create your own ABC PC material with all the mechanical properties, you can get those info. from www.matweb.com
          2. You can find the COSMOS materials.sldmat file under .....\ SolidWorks\COSMOS\CWLang\English, and then you can edit this XML format file with Xml editor or just Notepad.
          • How to add Yield Strength to plastics?
            Anthony Botting
            That is ok but beware that yielding phenomenon is primarily associated with metals -primarily because it marks nearly the end of linearity just before the metal goes into a 'plastic' state. This is of course the realm of applicability for linear analysis. Many plastics on the other hand can strain very, very far and perhaps even in a nonlinear fashion prior to failure. Many have a failure indicator known as "Maximum strain to failure" which is typically posted by the manufacturer. Once you obtain that number, you could use it to define failure along with a nonlinear stress-strain curve (also from the manufacturer) and conduct COSMOSWorks Nonlinear analysis and plot the Normal, Equivalent, or Shear strain in COSMOSWorks at full load. Hope this helps.