15 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 4:47 PM by Harold Brunt

glitchy filleted edges

Harold Brunt
      I am detailing a casting and one of the filleted edges shows up as this glitchy line in the top and front views. The fillet is on the edge of a drafted rectangular extruded cut that passes through a revolved parabolic surface. That has never mattered in the past but I thought I should throw that out there in case it provided a clue. My video settings are set in the red so there's very little room for more resolution. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....
        • glitchy filleted edges
          Matt Lombard
          First, try CtrlQ. If that doesn't fix it, then try Tools, Options, Performance, Verification on Rebuild, and then CtrlQ. All this will do is point out a problem by making a feature fail that should have failed before.

You might also try Tools, Check. Or rolling back the model and seeing where the funky edges begin to show up.
          • glitchy filleted edges
            Set Tangent edge display as Tangent edge with font.
            • glitchy filleted edges
              Matt Lombard
              Are you sure you don't have a surface body or another solid body showing on the drawing?
                • glitchy filleted edges
                  Harold Brunt
                  Thanks Shaodun for the suggestion but that didn't effect the display in the drawing either.

I'm not quite sure I know what you are asking Matt. I did not use any surfaces for constructing this part (for generating the parabolic or terminating the cut). I don't have anything higher in the tree suppressed to display the part in the drawing as shown.

I am using a configuration for generating the casting and machined casting so there are features further down in the tree that are suppressed. When I generate a projected view of the machined part the goofy fillet is there too. In the drawing that is, not in the part.
                    • glitchy filleted edges
                      Harold Brunt
                      Matt? Still with me on this? There is more than one feature building up the part. I selected the edge in the drawing view so that SW would tell what I am looking at. It is what it is suppossed to be, the extruded base of the part that protrudes from the parabolic revolve.

I am assuming that this is the result of the my choices in building the model. Perhaps instead of a solid revolve for the parabolic feature I should have used surfaces. My choice of using a solid and needing to tilt the axis and offset the surface created a problem where the revolved feature intersected the axis and would fail. That's why there's a small circle in the left of the jpg - my work around.

When I selected the edge in the drawing it did more goofy stuff. Any more thoughts? Anyone?
                        • glitchy filleted edges
                          Mark Kaiser
                          Someone may have a better suggestion than this, but here's mine. Start suppressing features starting at the bottom of the feature tree, one at a time. After you supress each feature, go back to the drawing and see if the bad edge is gone. Hopefully this will lead to finding the feature that is causing the problem. Once found, build the feature in a different way, order, change it somehow so hopefully the problem dissapears.
                            • glitchy filleted edges
                              Harold Brunt
                              Thanks Mark. I tried just that. I re-ordered features, I resized the fillet, I suppressed features, I changed the draft angles. I did find an undercut while doing all that so it was a worthwhile exercise! Unfortunately the only thing that will make the failed fillet in the drawing not fail is suppressing the fillet itself. (I even tried to make a fillet by using a swept cut but as it is on a parabolic surface it is a mess to keep the cutting profile tangent to all the faces.) What I don't really get is that it displays properly in the 3D models but fails in the 2D but fails consistantly. No matter the view in the 2D as long as that edge is showing, that fillet looks glitchy.
                                • glitchy filleted edges
                                  Mark Kaiser
                                  It sounds like you've exhausted your resources on this one. Another suggestion is to upload the file here for others to look at, or send it to your VAR for review. Maybe its a bug.

I know I suggested before turning your document resolution in the drawing all the way up, I've also had drawings where the best resolution setting wasn't all the way up, maybe something else to try if you haven't already.

Has the file crashed alot? If so, try saving the part to a new name, then starting a new drawing from the new part file.
                                    • glitchy filleted edges
                                      Harold Brunt
                                      New drawing and no crashes, at least not while this particular drawing was open. It's a six sheet casting drawing and I'd really prefer to not start over! If there are no other options, well then.

I cannot upload the file. I'm not sure how to handle this with my VAR. With crashes and such I could capture the failure without video and send the Rx without files. This is an ITAR project which is why the jpegs are cropped.

I suspect you are right though. I've exhausted my options. Perhaps a temper tantrum in order or just an afternoon off....
                                        • glitchy filleted edges
                                          Harold Brunt
                                          BWAHAHA! (as in a Meniacal laughter of glee.)

I tried several ways of generating that fillet and all failed in the drawing. Some even made the surface disappear in the model. I changed the way I created the parabolic feature and the problem is gone. So is the little band-aide for the gap in the revolve.

I had made a solid revolve with the parabolic curve as the sketch which made for a small hole (SW didn't like the profile intersecting the axis). This time I used the parabolic curve sketch to make a surface then extruded a profile up to that surface. I needed to fix a few sketches later in the tree but it took less time than I've spent trying to figure why the other method didn't work. Lesson learned. Life is good.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
                                            • glitchy filleted edges
                                              Matt Lombard
                                              Here's what I would do.

First make sure all your fillets are at the bottom of the tree.

Start suppressing fillets from the bottom up and CtrlQ in the drawing to see when the problem goes away.

usually the Verification On Rebuild and Tools, Check evaluation tools will find an error of this sort. Are you sure you tested with these methods?

Did you maybe create a shell feature that violates another feature? Lots of stuff can cause it.
                                                • glitchy filleted edges
                                                  Harold Brunt
                                                  Yes, all fillets are at the bottom of the tree. At least as far as the casting configuration is concerned. I have perhaps a dozen machined features after the fillets that are suppressed in the casting configuration.

I suppressed each feature in the tree, one at a time, and hit CtrlQ to see if the feature would fail. I also have the option to update the tesselation via OptisWorks to see if there is a glitch in the surface. I had Verification on Rebuild selected as you suggested. I also ran the Tools, Check function which turned up no Invalid faces or surfaces. No shell features.

I don't doubt that I created my problem. I also know that I lack sufficeint understanding of the failure modes in SW to recognize what is going on. "Lots of stuff can cause it" is an accurate statement. SW is complicated enough. Add the Optical Add-in and all the other junk running on this machine and it amazes me it turns on every morning let alone that I remember how to do so.