2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2008 8:21 PM by Elizabeth Bailey

changing the name of a part linked to a drawing

Elizabeth Bailey
      Hey everyone -

Here's a question for you...

Ideally I need to change the name on a part that is already inserted in a drawing. Is there a way to keep the views I've created and all their associations from the original named part and yet change the name of that part? (Is that question even understandable???)

Thanks!

Liz Bailey
        • changing the name of a part linked to a drawing
          David Heinemeyer
          I assume you mean you want to change the model file name referenced in the drawing? If so have both the model and drawing file open at the same time and do a "save as" on the model file, this will update the drawing model file reference and retain the drawing files original file name. You will need to save the drawing file for this change to take effect. This creates a new copy of the part model so the old one still exists. You can then rename the drawing file to suite without losing the model reference if you wish. Be carful if you have any assemblies open at the same time that have the model as a component. This procedure will rename and replace the part in the open assembly as well. Hope this is what you're looking for.
          • changing the name of a part linked to a drawing
            Elizabeth Bailey
            Hi Dave - Thanks - that worked great. The "save as copy" instruction in the dialog box threw me for a minute, but it did exactly what I needed. I appreciate the help!

Liz