13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 5:54 PM by Andrew Guitar

Midpoint select

Tim Coble
      Did something happen to the midpoint select? I used to right click on a line and then click on select midpoint but It's not there anymore. The help only references selecting a midpoint on an edge. I'm only trying to center a construction line on a plane, and I know it's something I have done numerous times. Did my recent uppdate switch something off I'm not aware of?

I'm running 08 Sp3.0

TIA,

Tim
        • Midpoint select
          Troy Peterson
          Are you seeing all the options of the RMC? Click the chevron to see all options or under "Customize" - "Options" - "Show All" to see the options all the time.

Also did you just update to sp03? Try a re-boot if so.
          • Midpoint select
            Jeff Hamilton
            It's still on mine. Right at the top.
              • Midpoint select
                Tim Coble
                I did the update 2 weeks ago.

Attached is a screenshot of the options available.

I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to re-install, just annoyed.

Tim

• Midpoint select
                    Is it just me or do others find it annoying that you have to RMC in the first place. Why cant the mid points just show like the end points (Simular to AutoCAD)
                    • Midpoint select
                      David Heinemeyer
                      The menu you are showing is what you get without pre-selecting an edge. To get the "Select Midpoint" option you need to pre-select the edge you want the mid point on.
                        • Midpoint select
                          Tim Coble
                          Nope that's not it, you can see the line highlighted (green) behind the menu.

The really odd thing, I was working on a new sketch with a different part at the end of the day - no problem!

I usually just blame our IT guy for this kind of stuff because, well, why not.

Maybe this is just a fluke for this file.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
                            • Midpoint select
                              Jeff Hamilton
                              Did you right click in the line or edge itself? I don't get a display like you're showing unless I right click on the heads-up display.
                              • Midpoint select
                                Eddie Cyganik
                                Tim,

I concur, the midpoint selection is not available in SW08 (don't know about SW07). Tested in SW06 and it's on the menu.

What people have not noticed in your example is that you are in the process of inputting "Sketched Text".

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but:
                                => You can select an entity as a curve for your text, and then use the Center Justify command.
                                => You can input geometry and hover over the midpoint and it will attach accordingly.

But again, to clarify;
                                In SW06, you can select midpoint of an entity in a sketch as long as the "Sketch Text" property manager is not active.

In SW08, you cannot select midpoint of an entity in a sketch if it contains "Sketched Text" even if property manager for sketched text is not active. (This is different behavior.)
                                  • Midpoint select
                                    Joel Schmidt

In SW08, you cannot select midpoint of an entity in a sketch if it contains "Sketched Text" even if property manager for sketched text is not active.

Same in SW07. If there's sketched text in the sketch then you can't select the midpoint of any line.

You'll have to put a point on your construction line at the midpoint and then make your plane coincident with that point. It's only one extra step...

Also note that the cursor must be on the line to "select midpoint," you can't just have the line selected and RMB anywhere.
                                      • Midpoint select
                                        Tim Coble
                                        Thanks for the insight Eddie. I see what the difference is now. The work around, I believe, would be to have all the construction lines placed and constrained as I want them prior to inserting any text.

As for that project, I was creating a label part for an assembly file and I have used this process before just to center the text (with SW'06). It's not something we have to do very often but it does come up.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim
                                        • Midpoint select
                                          I just came across the same exact problem using 2009 SP2.0 so I guess it still hasn't been fixed.
                              • Midpoint select
                                Andrew Guitar
                                I have the same problem also Tim.
                                Since the install of 2009 the midpoint on a line doesn't appear until I have selected both entities I am working with. Not very useful is it??

Guitarman