5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2008 6:58 PM by Phillip Standifer

Hole Wizard Callout

Phillip Standifer
      I need some help, please. I am currently running SW2007 SP5.

The problem that I am encountering is understanding how to change the "order" of the callout for a hole in the calloutformat.txt file. I do realize that I can change this on an individual callout basis by editing the Dimension text but have no desire to do this for every hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For example, by default the hole callout will be as such:
      Pilot Hole information
      Thread information
      Countersink/bore information

The callout method chosen my company uses is:
      Pilot Hole information
      Countersink/bore information
      Thread information
        • Hole Wizard Callout
          Eddie Cyganik

Phillip,

We have our calloutformat.txt file setup to callout threads in the order of machining, just like you are wanting.

For all new hole callouts, the information will appear fine. However, the only way I know of to fix existing callouts would be to:
          => Manually change each and every individual hole. (Very painful, as you know.)
          => Delete & reinsert. (Might be faster unless you have applied tolerances and such.)
          => Last suggestion would be to edit the feature (Hole Wizard) in the part, then change back to see if it updates the callout. (Again though, if you've applied tolerances and such, this may not be efficient.)

Sadly, this is another area of customization that should be addressed during initial installation & setup and as you are finding, it's painful after the fact.
            • Hole Wizard Callout
              Phillip Standifer
              Thank you for the information Eddie.

If I am understanding you correctly this is a "setteing preference" when SolidWorks is installed? Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is the case can the "setting" still be altered without re-installing SW?

The components that I am working on are all new but I would rather use the Hole Callout versus the "insert callout" option since we show Cosmetic Threads. The reason being is that if I have to modify the hole at any time I loose my created callout. The only way that I can easily use the insert callout option is to insert it into the drawing, copy and past it as a comment then recopy/paste it if changes are made. Too time consuming.

What really burns me about editing the callout method in the Dimension text is that I loose all modification (tolerance, decimal...) options when I restructre it like it should be.

Is it possible for me to look at the structure of your calloutformat.txt file?

Thanks,
              Phillip
                • Hole Wizard Callout
                  Phillip Standifer
                  Ok, after restructuring the callourformat.txt file to get the correct order how do I get the space between the thread callout and threadclass to go away?

Examples:
                  What I get: 3/4-10 UNC -2B.......................
                  What I want: 3/4-10 UNC-2B.......................

"=> Last suggestion would be to edit the feature (Hole Wizard) in the part, then change back to see if it updates the callout. (Again though, if you've applied tolerances and such, this may not be efficient.) "

Eddie, just to let you know that your last suggestion I put in quotes above does work as long as you make some change, close it, reopen and change it back to what you want. Much faster than I had hoped for and without deleting and recreating the holes which would have messed up a lot of assemblies.
                    • Hole Wizard Callout
                      Eddie Cyganik

Phillip,

I do not think the space can be altered. I believe it is hard coded to the varable.

I think you figured the calloutformat.txt file. Now remember, this file has been altered by you, so, like any default file that has been modifed, you'll need to back this file up somewhere. When a new version of SW comes out, you'll need to compare both and update accordingly.

For now, once the file is formated to your liking, place it on a network drive to be utilized by everyone in your company. Do this by updating the File Location on everyone's machine.
                        • Hole Wizard Callout
                          Phillip Standifer
                          Yes Eddie, so far so good on getting the callout format to show up correctly per company format. Just a few more tweaks and it will be ready to hand out to others in the company that use the Hole Wizard.

It would be nice to get rid of the extra space but like you mentioned I think it is a hard code issue that we can not change.

Edit: I would have put an image in the previous post as an example for others to see but I am still trying to get familiar with inserting one on this forum and it is not possible to type out an example of the text code in a post, at least for me.