12 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 6:29 PM by John Sutherland

What does "The sketch has no contour geometry" mean?

Gerry Arcand
      I am trying to extend an existing part by opening a sketch on one of the planer surfaces, selecting the surface, and converting the edges. When I try to extrude the resulting sketch, which is fully defined, I get an error that says "The sketch has no contour geometry". I can not find anything on this in Help. I've even tried to delete all relations and then fully define the sketch, but I get the same error. The part I am trying to extend is a loft and the face i am converting for the new sketch is an end face.
        • What does "The sketch has no contour geometry
          Troy Peterson
          Try running - Tools, Sketch Tools, Check Sketch For Feature.
            Charles Culp
            This typically happens to me when the "converted entities" don't have endpoints that are truely coincident. Grab each endpoint and "wiggle it around". You might find some that aren't connected.

Also, the proper tool for this check is Tools>Sketch Tools>Check Sketch for Feature. See what information it can give you.
                Gerry Arcand
                "Check sketch for feature" is what is giving me the error. I tried grabbing each endpoint, but they do not move at all and the error still comes up. The sketch is fully defined. I even tried converting the original sketch I used for the loft, but still get the same error, which is odd, since that sketch worked for the loft, but not an extrusion.
                    Charles Culp
                    If you converted entity on the sketch, then I'm not sure what could be wrong.

Try just re-using the sketch. Select the first sketch, and then just select the "extrude" feature, it will let you re-use it. Ofcourse, you can't edit anything...
                      Troy Peterson

Gerry Arcand wrote:

"Check sketch for feature" is what is giving me the error. I tried grabbing each endpoint, but they do not move at all and the error still comes up. The sketch is fully defined. I even tried converting the original sketch I used for the loft, but still get the same error, which is odd, since that sketch worked for the loft, but not an extrusion.

Gerry,

Are you able to upload the file so we can take a look at what's going on....
                          Gerry Arcand
                          I tried to upload it, but I get a message saying I was not permitted to upload this type of file. Is there another way to do it?
                          I tried using the original sketch and extruding it. That works, but does not give me what I want. I may be able to use this method as a work-around, though. But, why couldn't I copy it and then edit it? Seems strange to me.
                              Charles Culp
                              Gerry,

You must .zip the file first, then upload that.

Or even better: http://solidmentor.com/modules...ForOnlineCollaboration
                                  Gerry Arcand
                                  I've modified it to the point where my original problem is no longer an issue. I even tried rolling back to where the problem cropped up, and now I am able to select the face, convert it, and extrude the resulting sketch, the way I tried before. Thanks for your help, but the problem seems to have fixed it's self. If it comes up again, I will zip the file and come back to you.

Thanks again.
                                    • Re: What does "The sketch has no contour geometry
                                      Ryan Laplante

I had this same problem - same error message - I was converting construction geometry that was fully defined into solid lines and it gave me this error message.  I even went so far as to re-create the solid geometry before this feature in the design tree and then converting the edge of the solid geometry.

I was using the contour select option available through RMB, and making absolutely sure that the lines were connecting - even converting the edge of solid geometry gave me this message.

I finally had to delete the feature and rebuild the entire part as this was the second extrude in my tree that it happened to.

I SOLVED IT!!  You have to use the exact same kind of contour selection that was used previously - In my case it was a "Multiple disjointed closed" countour selection.  So Multiple

there appear to be these types of countour selections available

General-( The sketch is checked for errors that are common to all contour types)

Single Open

Single Closed

Multiple Disjoint Closed

• Re: What does "The sketch has no contour geometry
                                          Iain MacPhail

Me, too.  I was editing someone else's model and changed the sketch plane form Front to Top.  SW didn't like it at all, and the extrusion failed.  I found an overlap in the sketch (where did that come from?) and fixed it, but I still kept getting the "no contour geometry" error.  I tried selecting geometry, but that didn't work, either.  After too long wiggling end points, etc. I changed the plane back to the original one.  All OK!  So I changed it again to what I wanted and it worked.  Great!  Sort of.   A few moments later SW crashed and I lost the changes... 

When I tried it again after reopening, it behaved differently.  The relocated extrusion now had a missing half.  I realise from reading this page that I might have beena able to reselect the contour, but I gave up trying to do this change at all.  I rotated the other end of the model.  No selected contours sketches there. 

• Re: What does "The sketch has no contour geometry" mean?
                              John Sutherland

Your description suggests to me that Converting edges does not recreate the relations between elements which were present in the sketch from which the solid was extruded, even though the converted edges look to be a replica of that sketch.

I have noticed no mention in this discussion of Select Chain.  That would be my first choice for selecting a closed contour.  If the option is not shown in your model then you do not have a closed contour.

Having selected your contour, Display Relations may confirm or otherwise my theory.