5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2008 5:09 PM by Chad Schmidt

configuration specific property

Chad Schmidt
      I'm trying to get access to a configuration specific property from a drawing. I don't understand this because I can only select this through the "link to property" command but it only applies to non configuration specific properties. "the model in view specified in sheet properties" is very non confiuration specific! so is the "currect document". Is there something I'm misunderstanding?
        • configuration specific property
          Chad Schmidt
          What I'm after is similiar to inserting a design table into a drawing. This looks very crude and the method is not what I would consider to be a good workflow. Is there another workflow other than this to accomplish the same thing using a general table?
              Eddie Cyganik
              Chad,

Are you asking 2 questions here?

If you need to access configuration specific file properties via annotations, the configuration must be in a drawing view.

To create a Tabulated Drawing, inserting a Design Table is exactly what you're looking for. As far as looking crude, you'll need to explain. And again, as far as workflow goes, you can detail each configuration separately or use a tabulated drawing.

We've been creating tabulated drawings using design tables since 1999. What is it you are having a problem with or what don't you like?
                  Chad Schmidt
                  I think I'm having difficulty getting the design table to appear the way I want it to. I'm guessing you have to hide first few rows of the table and then construct secondary table below it that represent how this table will appear in the drawing. Inventor allows a person to construct such tabulated general tables based upon configurations and this is a good workflow. Assigning a configuration based upon a view is kinda silly and only lends itself to master drawing workflows. A tabulated drawing workflow should be in place and treated at the general table level.
                      Eddie Cyganik
                      Chad,

I think I misunderstood your question with regard to my statement about needing a configuration for annotations. So, to clarify, I'll start over.

If you need to document multiple configuration on a single drawing, then you are creating a Tabulated Drawing. To create this type of drawing, a Solidworks Design Table would be inserted. One of the requirements is to hide certain rows or columns and/or position data such that the table data that appears while working in a part is the data that will be displayed on your drawing, basically, "WYSIWYG".

I will agree that the current process could be vastly improved. I will also say that we create as many tabulated detail and assembly drawing as we do mono-detail drawings. We are able to do this with the current functionality and are able to meet most of our requirements with minimal effort.

Half your battle will be to learn the SW way and forget Inventor.
                      Take a look at the on-line tutorial. If you've taken SW Essentials classes, look at the drawing lessons, there are several thorough examples that clearly explain part and assembly design tables.