3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2008 7:55 PM by Spencer Smith

Always work with the latest version of files

Wayne Tiffany
      I have long felt that we were not always presented with the latest versions of files and this morning we have verified such an example.

The user had yesterday opened an assy that is in the vault. Last night I updated that assy and several of the parts/assy's in that assy. This morning he opened that assy from inside SW and was presented with what was in his cache, not what I had updated last night.

His open sequence was to use the File/Open dialog from inside SW, browse to the folder, double-click on the assy file name. He did not use the recent list as we know there isn't a hook into that list to prompt Enterprise to get the latest versions.

So the question is - with the setting set to "Always work with the latest version of files", when is this effective? It obviously was not this morning when opening the assy in SW. Is that setting actually for some other purpose? My expectation would be that with that setting set, any time a user goes to open a file, it will make sure it pulls the latest version of all the files.

Thoughts?

WT
        • Always work with the latest version of files
          Spencer Smith
          Wayne,
          As a user that is relatively new to PDMWE, I discovered about a month ago that I was working with outdated models when I didn't have this setting enabled. The importance of this setting grows as more users are actively working in the vault and collaborating.

My guess is that by opening the file via SW, your user was using the MRUD (most recently used documents) section of the File menu. Since SW is not 'aware' that PDMWE is controlling files, opening files in this manner probably points directly to the file in your local cache - bypassing PDMWE as if you were working offline.

The "Always work with the latest version of files" setting apparently only applies when opening files via the PDMWE interface. That is likely your workaround.

Ideally, by enabling the option, PDMWE would lock out other means of opening the files if it can't enforce the option other than via the PDMWE interface. An enhancement request, maybe?

Spencer