4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2008 2:34 AM by Christopher Thompson

From Pro/E to SolidWorks

Jason Capriotti
      A vender is sending us files from ProE of their product. They've tried STEP and Parasolid but the files come in with missing faces and SolidWorks can't reapir them.

I'm not sure yet if the vender is willing to part with the native Pro/E files to try that, but is there some setting(s) in Pro/E that I can relay to them that would help? Is this a modeling tolerance issue.

Sometimes the faces are there but not visible......import diagnosis also shows errors with faces that appear correct but apparent aren't.
        • From Pro/E to SolidWorks
          Brian Hoerner
          Jason,

This is a constant fight here, and too long to answer properly here. First, part of this is indeed an issue with tolerances, which by the way cannot be tweaked in SW thank you very much. The help may come from your vendor, tell them to export only solids, not the surfaces, ask if they can give them to you in IGES and STEP, usually I have found that if one does not work the other does, again, exporting the part with solids only on is a huge key. It also is important that the Pro file is a good file to start with, no overlapping fillets, which pro does great, the part should be made into a solid which helps alot. Just a few thoughts.

Brian
            Christopher Pinto

Jason Capriotti wrote:

A vender is sending us files from ProE of their product. They've tried STEP and Parasolid but the files come in with missing faces and SolidWorks can't reapir them.

I'm not sure yet if the vender is willing to part with the native Pro/E files to try that, but is there some setting(s) in Pro/E that I can relay to them that would help? Is this a modeling tolerance issue.

Sometimes the faces are there but not visible......import diagnosis also shows errors with faces that appear correct but apparent aren't.

Hi Jason,
            Please report this to your reseller so that the problem can be investigated.
            thanks,
              John Thornton
              I suffer from the same problem trying to import Pro-E files. Seems like that Solidworks would not import a part and then have the imported part useless because it crashes your drawings... The interesting thing is that Key Creator can open these files with no problems at all... I've tried Pro-E native, IGES and STEP from my customer and some work and some don't.

I feel for you...

John
                  Christopher Thompson
                  What version of Pro-E was used to create the files? Was it pre-Wildfire (Pro/E 2001 and earlier), or Pro-E Wildfire 2.0 or 3.0? The problems with gaps are more common with parts that use surface / hybrid modeling or sheetmetal parts when importing into SolidWorks.

Have you tried to heal the geometry inside SolidWorks? I typically have the best success bringing STEP files exported from Pro-E into SolidWorks over native Pro-E or IGES files. As I use both Pro-E and SolidWorks, feel free to send me a native Pro-E file and I can test it on my system. Read the IGES & STEP transfer from SW.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
                  Appian Way Technologies LLC

SolidWorks Office Premium 2007
                  Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0 & 3.0