2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 10:52 AM by Harry Ludwigsson

DXF created in SolidWorks doesn't match DXF created in DWGEditor!

Harry  Ludwigsson
      I have a problem with dxf's made in SW.

I recently got a request to do dxf's with positions for our bolt welding NC- machine. So I started out with a test. I drew a sketch in "part mode" and then opened it up in "sketch mode" saving as dxf. When this file is read in to the bolt welding machines software, BolzitW32, it is initially placed in origo (0,0). Then when som preparation button is pressed the whole sketch jumps to the right.

When I draw the same file inDWGEditor and repeat all the steps described above it stays in place.

Now what I wonder is, does solid add some extra info to the dxf?? What can I do to avoid this problem. I don't want to draw the dxf's inDWGEditor since I don't have AutoCAD experience and I find it time consuming just to figure out how the programme works. Drawing the fiels in SW would be a whole lot easier.

I have tried to do the file in SW, open it in the DWGEditor and resave it. Save it as DWG in SW and open it DWGeditor and resave it as a dxf. As soon as SW has anything to do with the file it just jumps out of position, As long as the file is made in DWGEditor it stays in position.

What should I do?
        • DXF created in SolidWorks doesn't match DXF created in DWGEditor!
          John Burrill
          Open one of your Solidworks export DXF's in DWGEditor and type in this command
          BASE.
          If the value reported is anything other than 0,0,0, try changing it. When Solidworks exports to AutoCAD, it apparently writes to the display list to preserve visual fidelity. It also writes to the drawing database the interpreted values. When the drawing is regenerated the display list updates from the database. i'm not sure what's written differently between the two, but I have seen cases of Solidworks exported DWG's that open with the dimensions apparently out of position until they're picked, at which point, they snap back into place.
          If that doesn't work, you might have to relocate the exported geometry back to the origin in DWGEditor.
          John