3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 7:08 PM by Henry Belch

Forging Processes?

Henry Belch
      Can Cosmosworks Advanced Professional provide accurate forging simulations for heated non-linear materials with initial transient convective and radiation cooling and then at die contact change to transient conductive cooling with changing non-linear material properties and provide associated die forces/stresses? (For instance assume I have calculated the temperature dependant transient convection and conduction equations - and can I apply them to the model?).

Also, can it solve thermal shock problems (for instance quenching steel alloys in oil or 2 Gev proton beam hitting solid target material) and provide transient stress wave propagation through the material?

While I'm here, can it perform subsequent analyses which simulate the removal of a load after a body has been highly plastically deformed to determine the total elastic springback while retaining the plastic deformation at zero load (and plastic strain distribution)?

Also, crack initiation and propagation. Can you set failure criteria in the material which define volumetric element removal after adaptive meshing under highly stressed conditions for elements of a particular size (say, for instance when an element in a transient dynamic stress analysis adaptively reduces in size to below 0.0001" and the average stress level in that element exceeds a set value - ultimate strength at some predefined temperature). Remember, maximum stresses are not always on the surface...

• Forging Processes?
          Fernando Cuenca
          Henry,

First question, I don't think so. There is no thermo mechanical coupling in Cosmosworks. There's either thermal analysis or structural but not both (yes you can link the temperature distribution to an structural thermal stress analysis, but not transient).

Second question, same answer as above.

Third question, yes it can. You can load an structure, deform it plasticly and remove the load to see the residual stresses and plastic strain.

Fourth question, no it can't. And good luck finding a commercial package that does this. You will need a high end package and lots of programming to get a model to work, computational fracture mechanics is really an academic field, in the industry there is no need to know how the crack will propagate, all you need to know is if the stress is high enough to cause it to crack or yield.
          • Forging Processes?
            DEFORM 3D can do this
            http://www.deform.com/