AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cables on Tension Structures

Question asked by Mauricio Martinez-Saez on Apr 16, 2008
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 by Anthony Botting
Ho can cables of a tension structure can be modeled and analyzed with COSMOS?

Cosmos can perform non-linear analysis (tension structures experiment very large displacements), however I do not know how to build a model to analyze the behavior of a cable (with a catenary) working on tension inside the pocket at the edge of a tension structure membrane (the membrane is laminated PVC) when the membrane receive a wind load (PSF). The cable need to show his characteristic stretch which as you know is not just the stretch of the material since it also have mechanical effect as the strands of the cable compress again each other and the cable "rotates" under tension.

I used before a FEA system that have especific fuctionality for cables (used to analyze suspension bridges) but it is to expensive for what I need know... I believe that COSMOS can help on the analysis but I do not have a clear idea of how to do the model.

One of the simple structure shapes that I need to analize is the clasical "Hypar" structure. Attached are somo pictures of small structures, what I need to analyze are the cables tensioning the edge of the membranes, etc.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Outcomes