5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2008 5:04 PM by Charles Culp

PLACING HOLE DIMENSIONS

Don Aldridge
      I am not able to figure out how to dimension holes on a model. I draw the sketch from the right plane and dimension everything out, (no holes yet). When I turn the sketch into the model I use the hole wizard to create the first hole and then the circular pattern tool to to space six holes around the diameter. At this point I need to dimension the hole center from the edge of the part. Nothing I try is working, so what am I missing ? As you can guess I am new to Solid Works as well as the world of CAD so be easy on me. Another hiccup I seem to be having is trying to figure out how to draw wrench flats on the model. Am I wrong in trying to do these steps on the model? I am sure during the essentials class we were doing these types of things on the model.Thanks for any help, Cooper
        • PLACING HOLE DIMENSIONS
          Charles Culp
          Yes, you should do everying in the model. There are only a few minor things that I suggest putting on just the drawing. One of those is text that goes on the part (stampings and markings). There are even times when that belongs on the model, too.

To dimension a hole in a drawing view:
          Select the Smart Dimension tool.
          Select the edge of the part (it will turn green).
          Select the edge of the hole.

Now you should have a dimension from the edge of the part to the center of the hole. Does this technique work for you? If not, maybe you can post a screenshot?
              Don Aldridge
              Thanks for your help Charles,
              The holes do not appear in the sketch(is this what you mean by the drawing view?) I thought any changes done to the model would also change the sketch but that doesn't seem to be the case. Where I am is trying to dimension the holes on the 3D model. I hope I am using the right descriptions. When I try using the smart demension tool on the model view the points or lines I click on are orange not green . I am not sure what you mean by post a screenshot. If you mean for me to post the part I'm working on I would be happy to but you will need to explain how.( I told you I'm still green)
                  Charles Culp
                  When I said "drawing view" what I mean was creating a drawing file, and adding a view of your model in that drawing file. If you want your model to have dimensions directly on it, that is possible. It is, however, a more advanced approach, and sometimes difficult to grasp at the beginning.

Changes to the model do not affect the sketch. Each feature and sketch in a Solidworks part is like a building block, stacked in a line. Each one adds a little bit (or subtracts), and they add up going down the tree to create the final model. Later features are completely independent of previous features on purpose. This allows you to edit each feature indepenently. This theory is called parametric modeling.

Before I describe how to add dimensions in a 3D model, I would like to hear a little more about how you are using Solidworks, and what you are trying to do with it. Why are you learning Solidworks, and what results are you looking for? What "end result" product are you trying to create? By that, I mean do you work for a tooling company, and you need to create engineering drawings? That sort of information would help me (and anyone else who my post a comment) a bit of help.

To answer your orange color, yes, I have different settings, and orange sounds like the appropriate color.

Here are some links for using the forums:
                  Click here for how to create a screen shot
                  To upload a part file, you first must zip it. Right click on the file, select Send To>Compressed (Zipped) Folder. It will create a .zip file, which you can attach to your post. To attach it, in the reply to a message box, at the very bottom is a button called "attach file(s)". Click on that, and it will bring up the forum's attachment menu. upload the file, then after it is uploaded, select it, and choose "attach file". Then you can finish your message and "reply to topic".
                      Don Aldridge
                      My goal in learning Solid Works is as simple as stepping into the current century. I am responsible for the manufacturing side of our business(mostly lathe and VMC work) as well as a lot of the design work. I have always done all my drawings on the drafting table. I need to create dimensioned drawings for the manufacturing side of things. I need to learn how to do assembly modeling. I started off as a machinist (which at heart I still am) so the idea of taking a new idea and being able to create a 3D model drawing as opposed spending all day machining a demo is a huge step foreward in productivity. Back to my question on the hole dimensions, after looking at my essentials book I see where I should have positioned the holes at the same time I created them using the hole wizard position tab. I will go back to that point and see if I can add the dimensions.
                          Charles Culp
                          Best of luck in learning new things, this forum can be a good resource for you.

It sounds like you figured out your problem. Ofcourse, after explaining your solution, I now understand your question. You were looking to create dimensions in the model to control the location of the holes.

The locations tab of the hole wizard basically lets you edit the sketch that controls the hole placement. If you look in the feature manager tree on the left, and click the plus symbol next to the Hole feature, and expand it, two sketches will show up.

One is the profile of the hole, I suggest never editing this sketch. Let the hole wizard edit that sketch for you.

The other sketch is the hole location sketch. This is either a 2D sketch on the face of the part, or a 3D sketch, where you can put holes anywhere. Feel free to edit this sketch. You can add construction lines (with the centerline tool), and dimensions to constrain your points. Wherever there is a point, there will be a hole.

If you haven't already, the tutorials are a good help in learning the software. Go to Help>Solidworks Tutorials. If you still can't figure it out, you can always post your question again here! Ofcourse, the Solidworks Help files often have the information, but that requires you to already know what you are looking for...