2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 5:17 AM by Sindre Sorhus

Sheet Metal Welds In Simulations

Matthew Morona

Hi,

I'm just having a little difficulty simulating a sheet metal bracket I have designed in solid works (See image attached).

As can be seen the bracket has been fixed at the washers it is to be held against with the load being translated through the washer around the hole on it's own. At first I attempted to run the FEA as a sheet metal part but after meshing I found that only shell mesh was possible with this part type (Unless I have missed something). Shell mesh may have sufficed, however this didn't seem to make sense with respect to the joint I intended to be welded (As marked in the image attached) also craeting surface splits may not be possible in a shell mesh? To treat the part as a solid I converted the part as a copy to a step file and meshed as a solid in that file, however I am struggling to figure out how to crate a weld joint for the FEA, any suggestions?

Cheers.

• Re: Sheet Metal Welds In Simulations
          Ananda Ganesh Madheswaran

Model a weld as 3D - right angle triangle with sides equal, side should be of weld thick and provide bonded type of contact between the contact faces.

• Re: Sheet Metal Welds In Simulations
            Sindre Sorhus

Hello Matthew, I notice that your post is a month old, but I would like to give you some guidance for future studies.

1. When you put a sheetmetal part into a study, it will automatically be treated as a shell element (surface). To constrain the edge with a simulated weld connection you need to add a bonded contact set between the edge and the face.

2. If you don't want to solve the study with shell elements, you can rmb the part, on top of the study tree, and select Treat as solid. Then you solve the problem with solid mesh elements instead of shell. You do not have to save as step, or anything like that..

3. The last alternative that Ananda Ganesh Madheswaran suggested is good if you need to calculate stresses inside the weld. If you just need to check the overall stress and deformation on the part, the bonded contact will do the trick for you and save time in set up and solving the problem.

I have attached a part with three studies to show the subjects discussed in this post, hope this helps.