0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 12:25 PM by Benjamin Fishler

Is there a way to spatially define a thermal boundary condition? [without splitting faces]

Benjamin Fishler

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a good way to define a thermal (or any other) boundary condition based off of spatial coordinates (be it in the x, y, z directions or parametric length along an edge).

My basic problem is this: I have a body that was created by revolve-extruding a 2D profile with multiple faces (multiple line segments making up that 2D profile). If you were to parametrically define the total distance traversed on that 2D profile, I want to be able to start at a particular point, and then at particular intervals of distance away from that point [say, 1cm] impose a different thermal heat load (or even better if I could define a continuously smooth function based off position along that profile.

I know I can go in, make a sketch, and split the faces but this is very time consuming as I have many geometric variations of the model.

If there were a way to define say, W/m^2 loading based off of how far along the x direction I was, or base off edge parameters (say, "D1@Sketch31", etc..)? I've tried to go in and create global variables think link them to that parameter, but they never show up in the list when I try to link it under global variables within a simulation boundary condition (I presume because they have units of [in], and it's looking for [W/m^2]).

I've also tried looking at the API examples for thermal boundary conditions, but they are pretty much useless to follow (for instance: referring to: 2015 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Apply Thermostat-controlled Heat Power for Transient Thermal Study Example (VBA) ", it selects faces by saying "selection 11 = "..., followed by a list of hundreds of (I'm assuming") node points -- there's no way to relate it to spatial coordinates that I can find at least.

Does anyone know of a better way to tackle this?