Unfortunately I think you have to remove card --> add card again --> then associate the card variables with the template variables again. One of the many things that don't make sense in the admin tool.
1. To add the card once again (there will be two cards)
2. To adjust variables of the added card
3. To remove the old card
thank you both!
This seems to be a serious short coming of the EPDM admin tool.
The origin of the problem was that I renamed a card variable ('Customer' to 'Customer Name') that was linked to a template variable('t-Customer').
I have renamed the template variable too but didn't help (although they don't have to match)
I have removed and re-added the template card but didn't help.
I have removed and re-added the template folders but didn't help.
It was still asking for linking the template variable ('t-Customer') to the card variable ('Customer'). (although the template variable wasn't used any more in the template folders)
Then I changed the name of the card variable back to its original (Customer).
So now the system is happy although the template variable is not used at all...!!?
For some reason EPDM remembers to these variable names and links and stores them in the background although they are not used any more or have been deleted.
The process you need to follow to correctly rename/remove a variable from a template input card is:
In the template ensure the card variable is not being copied to any template variable
Then in the template input card rename / remove the variable
If required in the template set the renamed card variable to be copied to the template variable.
PDM remembers if there is a link set up and tries to maintain it (giving errors if it can't) so we just have to make sure there isn't a link.
Dave, it works, thank you very much!!
I followed the comments to try and remove these orphaned variables and it didn't work. In keeping with the link idea, I deleted the variable string creating the folder, which also removed the file reference. I assumed that this removed the folder card variable link to the template card. I then reconstructed the whole thing. The variables were then gone. It seems like a very long way around to correct the problem. Thanks for the pointers.