16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 7:54 PM by Shawn Lammers

Crashing when coverting dwg to dxf

harold ross
      I have been having this problem since I downloaded the new updates for Solidworks 2008. When I go to convert a drawing to a dxf. I get a message saying: Solidworks is unable to obtain required memory. Please attempt to free up some memory and press retry, or press cancle to terminate solidworks. I then have to restart my computer. Once I restart my computer it works fine for the rest of the day. I get it once about every 2 days. I did adisk clean up and defrag. Yet stil the problem occurs. Any idea on how to fix this. A picture of the message box is below. Thanks

http://s79.photobucket.com/alb...current=untitled-2.jpg
        • Crashing when coverting dwg to dxf
          John Burrill
          Solidworks 2008 SP0.0 had this problem. I think it was fixed in 0.1. Try updating to SP3.1.
          -j
              harold ross
              I came to Solidworks 2008 during SP 1.0 and never had this problem. Skipped SP 2.0 and just went to 3.0 and began to have this problem. I then continued to install SP 3.1 hopeing it would fix this problem. Yet it still causes me problems.
                  Gary Bergen
                  I have this same problem with SW2008 SP3.0 but I have never worked with SP1.0 so I never did have it working with 2008. I find that I get the error intermittently and I can't even reliably recreate the error so it makes it tough to report!

When I get the error, I find the only way to climb out of it is to restart my computer. Then if I make the dxf conversion the next thing I do it works fine, even with multiple conversions. Hopefully this is fixed with a future service pack!
                      harold ross
                      Yes exactly the same problem as me. Only problbems about this other then being a waste of time is now I have to make sure everything I have open in solidworks is saved before I try and create a dxf or I lose all project info since last save.

Was wondering, do you log off your computer and leave it run all night or just completely shut it down when your done with work?
                          Gary Bergen
                          I simply log off. I do not shut down. I work on a network and some files on my drive in the shared folders may be needed when I'm away so I really can't.

Other news - I just had this dxf conversion crash again earlier today. Instead of restarting I was able to record the poblem with Rx and send it in to my SWtech. I'll let you know what I get for a response.
                              harold ross
                              Thats good to hear, looking forward to seeing what they have to say about it. If it crashes on me today I am going to start completely shutting down my computer at the end of the day, see how that effects my program and this problem. Hope this problem can be fixed soon, very annoying.
                                  Gary Bergen
                                  Hey, I got this response from tech support...

Thank you for uploading the Rx file. This seems to be an installation-specific issue; I was able to save a DXF file of your model. The driver you are currently using is not on the list of recommended drivers for nVidia Quadro FX 3400, SolidWorks 2008, Win XP. Please download the latest driver for this selection, shown in the attached screenshot, and then follow the attached instructions for uninstalling the current graphics-card driver in safe mode. Install the recommended driver in regular mode and let me know if the problem persists.

They also sent special instructions for updating my system.

...I performed the updates as they recommended and I haven't had a problem since - but then it was an intermittent problem so I guess we'll see. Bye the way I have an nVidia card. I checked with others at work and one other guy with nVidia has the same problem, the other guy with a different adapter had never had the problem.

Which card do you have?
                        I'm having this same issue. Just like Gary, it is intermittent and thus very annoying. I'm currently using 2 ati fire3400 in crossfire with the drivers up to date, however the problem persists. Just wondering if using the solidworks recommended drivers worked for you guys. I would have to downgrade my driver to do so, and it only states it for solidworks 2007.
                            Gary Bergen
                            So far so good with the new driver - but then it always was an intermittent thing so time will tell.

I would try downgrading my driver. I solved a problem with SW2005 by doing that. Then a few months later an even newer driver appeared that solved everything. For what it takes it's worth a try.
                              Gary Bergen
                              The problem persists. I was very hopeful when I updated the driver but this was shortlived as I just crashed on my first DXF conversion today.

I wonder if this is a video card/driver issue as we are not all even using the same brand:
                              -Harold Ross ATI Radeon X600
                              -Hollis Gmyr ATI Fire 3400
                              -mine (Gary) nVidia Quadro FX 3400

... so I emailed tech support once again. We'll see if there are any other clues to unravel.
                              Gary, are you running windows xp 32x or 64x? I've had issues with other programs due to me running a 64 bit OS.
                                I'm not sure if it's a breakthrough or not, but the problem seems to have stopped after a windows update. Could this problem be related to how windows xp handles Solidworks?
                                  Shawn Lammers
                                  I have this problem as well but it happens every time, even on the simplest drawing. It worked fine under 2007 and started crashing with 2008 beta and is still a problem with 2008 SP4. It crashes on both my 32bit XP machines but works fine on my Vista machine. I have a hard believing a graphics card driver can cause problems with the DXF export.

Shawn