5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2008 2:41 PM by Carey Chang

Exporting AutoCAD MEP to SW 2008

Carey Chang
      I have a DWG file with a 3D layout of some complicated ductwork that was created using AutoCAD MEP that I'd like to make into a SW file. I'm not familiar with AutoCAD MEP and I don't work much with AutoCAD's 3D features. I tried some of AutoCAD's exporting functions, but I couldn't find one that works well with SW 2008.
        • Exporting AutoCAD MEP to SW 2008
          John Burrill
          The best answer is to go back to AutoCAD MEP and convert your mep objects to AutoCAD Solids. You can then open the dwg in Solidworks and create an assembly from it's components.
          If you don't have access to AutoCAD MEP, then I'd look at open the file in AutoCAD 2008 with the MEP object enabler and seeing if I could export it to 'regular ole' AutoCAD 14. The MEP objects should be converted into 3DFaces at that point.
          The other thing you can try doing is downloading and installing Revit for a 30 day trial period. You can use that to open your MEP DWG and export it to IGES or Parasolids or one of the other formats Revit supports.
          Good luck.
              Carey Chang
              John,

I don't have access to MEP, but I agree that the best way to go about this is to save the source as a 3D solid. I'm trying to see if I can request to have that done. I suppose I could try using Revit, but I'd like to try some options before going to that. I'm a little confused about what you said about exporting to 'regular ole' AutoCAD 14. How would I be able to do that?

Thanks for your advice so far!
                  John Burrill
                  Well, if you have some flavor of AutoCAD that can open the MEP file, then saving the DWG back to AutoCAD 14 will probably convert all of the MEP objects down to proxies which will display as blocks that can be exploded into 3D faces. it's not a pretty way to go about it.
                  John
                    John Burrill
                    Well, if you have some flavor of AutoCAD that can open the MEP file, then saving the DWG back to AutoCAD 14 will probably convert all of the MEP objects down to proxies which will display as blocks that can be exploded into 3D faces. it's not a pretty way to go about it.
                    John
                        Carey Chang
                        I gave a shot at saving the file as R14 and I didn't notice anything different than before. I saw that when I was exporting the file, it excluded many entities that were not considered to have any solid properties. A few of the solids did make it into an imported part in SW, but it was all still pretty useless.

I'll keep playing around with this and post if I got anything to work successfully. Thanks for all your efforts getting me there!