7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 4:56 PM by Chad Schmidt

Line Font = Layer

Chad Schmidt
      Is there a particular reason why SW will not map a Line Font to a particular layer in the document properties? We actually use colors in our drawing for each line font. The only way I've been able to get around this is to manually select each entity and change its layer or color. This is a huge efficiency problem! It's very aggravating when you place views with cosmetic threads and have to go into each view and manually select the entities and change them to the appropriate layer. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a work flow issue?
        • Line Font = Layer
          Charles Culp
          Why do you want your cosmetic threads to be on a different layer? You can set up your cosmetic threads to automatically be a certain linetype without having to set a layer.

I guess a little more explaination of why you are using layers would be helpful.
            • Line Font = Layer
              Chad Schmidt
              All hidden lines are red in our drawings. Cosmetic threads are hidden lines so they should be red. I'm having difficulties getting entities to go to there proper color when generating views. IV has the ability to map entities to a layer upon view generation there is no equivalent for SW from what I can tell.
                • Line Font = Layer
                  Charles Culp
                  Line Font is controlled by going to Tools>Options>Document Properties>Line Font.

You can also change the color of all hidden edges by going to Tools>Options>System Options>Colors, then in the Color Scheme settings box, select "Drawings, Hidden Model Edges" and change it to red.

Doing so will bypass the need to use layers to control this at all. If you are just trying to control the color, there is no reason to use layers. That is a technique that just came from AutoCAD (et al.), and isn't very useful in Solidworks. If you want to be able to turn layers off and on, or dynamically control a group of lines, then layers work well.