3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2008 5:50 PM by Tom Mathieson

questions on constraints

Tom Mathieson
      I have a question on constraints in sketching that i have not been able to answer, or figure out. i may be missing something. in the attached pictures, i want to place a line that passes thru the center plane of the HSS that can be seen. i start my sketch, select line, then move my cursor over the HSS until the center point hilites. i then move my cursor up above the mid point to the approximate position i want my line to start. in the 1st pic, you can see the dotted line going from the modpoint to my cursor. i always assumed that this meant that my line end point would be , in this case, vertically aligned to the midpoint. alas, it is not. after picking my start point, i go and pick my end point, and the line turns up blue. it is not constraint to the midpoint of the HSS at all!!!

my question is, why does teh software hilite this point, shows a dashed line that shows you are lined up with it, but not constraint the line to the point??

another question... why, in a sketch, can you not position a point coincident to a line end point, BUT, you can put that point anywhere in space, then pick the point AND the same end point you originally wanted, and then pick coincident and the point will jump to the line's end point?
        • questions on constraints
          Charles Culp
          Yellow constraints indicate that SW will automatically create the constraint. White constraints mean that it will snap to where the constraint would be, but won't actually create that constraint.

Matt Lombard
            Why ask why? You'll drive yourself nuts expecting the software to be predictable. I've wondered these things also, and in the end it didn't get me anywhere. The sketcher is the one part of the software that everybody uses, and you'd think at least they could work the bugs or inconsistencies out of it, but they can't/won't.
              Tom Mathieson
              Charles,

not trying to contradict, but the midpoint is hilited in yellow, but the line did not snap to it, and why snap to whre a constraint would be, if you're not going to snap to it......
              Mat, i hear ya!! why ask why, you say? well, mainly i keep hoping on these 'topics' that i am a dufus and someone will show me the correct way, and maybe i can sacve some time and money... but alas, as you say "that the way it is,fella. keep moving!!!"

my comment about the sketch point on an end point of a line really epitomizes the whole scene...

thanks guys.