20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2008 2:04 PM by Eddie Cyganik

tapped holes

Edward Vavrek
      Solidworks does not make it easy to put tapped holes in a drawing. The do not show up as tapped holes in the assy or model. For such an important part of design. Solidworks sure missed this one. They need to review how easy Inventor makes it.
      Very dissapointed with this.
        • tapped holes
          Jason Raak
          If you have cosmetic thread selected in the whole wizard (middle of 3 buttons) then the tapped holes will show in the drawing. Also you can change your settings to show the dotted lines of tapped holes in your assembly.
          • tapped holes
            Matthew Lorono
            Actually, if you are using hole wizard, then this is a very simple matter. Using the hole annotation on the drawing automatically pulls in the correct info. If you want to modify the callout default, you can modify calloutmethod.txt (see: http://www.fcsuper.com/swblog/?p=36 for some info on this).

It would help a complaint if you can go into more detail about what you are doing and experiencing. You may find there are methods already in place that you weren't award of.

What have you tried so far in your endeavor to get tapped holes, and what are you expectations?

• tapped holes
                Robert Berry
                Cosmetic treads will not show up in the assy view period.

I have been all through this problem both on this board and with the VAR.

I was told by the VAR that this was a known problem and has been for quite some time.

You can get threads to show up in assemblys but it is all or nothing. You get blue circles of every thread in every view, wether they are hidden inside the end view or behind the section.

You can get them consistently in the detail drawings.

For someone who is "old school", as well as someone who draws round parts with tapped hole, this is disturbing and should be fixed.
                  • tapped holes
                    Eddie Cyganik

Bob, Edward & Jason,

Could the issue be SW Version related?

Or how about Service Pack related?

Maybe a Graphics Card issue?

Neither one of you has listed any of the common information that may be useful in trouble-shooting these matters.

If you provide some detail, perhaps we can provide an answer.
                      • tapped holes
                        Robert Berry
                        Eddie,

I went over the graphics card, service pack. and version in a discussion entitled cosmetic threads in this forum.

I am using an nvidia 3500 with the proper drivers, Solidworks 2008, service pak 0.0.

I was using the wrong driver, but eveything else was fine.

I spent a few hours and the VAR spent longer with this problem.

Even with cosmetic threads turned on everywhere it was supposed to be, they simply will not show up as required in assembly drawings.

The problem according to the VAR who won a national award for excellence from the Solidworks Corporation claims it is a deficiency in the software.

If they are wrong could someone let me know as I have explored all avenues to correct this situation and have cut my losses and plan to move on.

• tapped holes
                            Eddie Cyganik

Okay Bob,

That's some good info. I have a computer set-up in a training area that has SW08 SP 0.0 but I cannot get to it today. I'll try to perform a couple of tests tomorrow and get back to you.
                            • tapped holes
                              Matthew Lorono

Bob Berry wrote:

The problem according to the VAR who won a national award for excellence from the Solidworks Corporation claims it is a deficiency in the software.

Did they file bug report with SW?

• tapped holes
                                Eddie Cyganik
                                Bob,

I thought I had checked cosmetic threads as part of a general review of SW08 but could not remember.

Anyway, as I said I would previously, I checked out two assembly drawings this morning and everything is working as it should using SW08 SP 0.0. Furthermore, the tests were done on a laptop that doesen't have a real good graphics card, yet I still did not experience any problems.

I'm not knocking your VAR but I think they missed the boat on this one.

By the way, I won "SolidWorks Beta Tester of the Year" several years ago and at SWW. I was presented a hunk of crystal with my name on it and everything but I still miss things here and there.
                                  • tapped holes
                                    Robert Berry
                                    Eddie,

I was being facetious when I listed thier award.

We have four machines here and the cosmetic thread feature works for all in detail drawings, but not on Assy drawings.

Go figure, oviously somethings not right.

Yhanks for your time and help.

• tapped holes
                                        Eddie Cyganik
                                        Bob, I too was joking about my accomplishment. :-)

I don't know the size of your assembly but could you post a watered down version? Perform a Save As Copy with a New Name, then remove all but 2 or 3 components that have cosmetic threads. Zip that up and I'll take a look.

I remember using this technique with a sectioning problem in SW2003. I had a manifold that sectioned just fine in a detail drawing but in an assembly drawing I had problems. To prove this, I created a new assembly with one component, the manifold. That's all that was needed to illustrate the problem.
                                        • tapped holes
                                          Robert Berry

Hey Eddie,

Did you per chance install 2008 from scratch on a clean machine or did you install it on a machine that previously ran 2007.

We seemed to get some settings from 2007 that pointed files to the places they were in 2007 and Solidworks changed the location in 2008.

We had to repoint the files in tool/options.

But I wonder if there is something else going on from 2007 files we can't see or were not over written in the new install.

Thanks ,
                                          B. B.
                                            • tapped holes
                                              Eddie Cyganik

Bob,

Initially, the laptop had previous installs of SW2006 and SW2007, then SW2008 was loaded. I gave up on SW2007 and have since uninstalled it. So currently, I have SW2006 & SW2008 installed & running on the same computer.
                                                • tapped holes
                                                  Robert Berry
                                                  Eddie,

Sorry I got busy yesterday, here's the file if your still interested.

B. B.
                                                    • tapped holes
                                                      Eddie Cyganik

Bob,

I down-loaded your files this morning and performed some testing using SW08 SP0.0. Everything I tried to do worked as it should. I have attached an image showing various cosmetic threads shown or hidden while in HLV & HLR view displays.

A couple of things worth noting:

=> I created a new drawing and when I saved it I received this warning:
                                                      Something about Draft Views that stated; Once the drawing is saved & closed and then reopened, the view would be High Quality. I think this message can be attributed to the setting; Tools - Options - Drawings - Display Style - "Display quality for new views". Make sure this is set to High Quality. Also, make sure all drawing views are set to High Quality.

Additionally, make sure that the Cosmetic Thread Display is set to High Quality also, for all views on a drawing.

So, once again, I was able to show cosmetic threads by inserting Model Items via Feature, Component & Model and hide cosmetic threads via selection.
                                                        • tapped holes
                                                          Robert Berry
                                                          Eddie,

Thanks for your effort.

So what you are saying is all off the tapped hole threads are visible and you need to supress the visibility of those that are unnecessary.

As you may be able to guess, there is a lot of stuff that goes inside the housings I sent you. All with tapped holes.

This is still a work around as the software will not omit those behind the section line and shows holes that don't belong in the end view.

The VAR and I got this to happen on both our machines but as blue geontry and not hidden lines.

As you show hidden lines, it is better than what I got, but still a limitation of SW if you have to physically go in and supress geometry.

I'll probably just leave em off in section views.

BTW, residing twelve miles due north of Boston I have to say this, GO RED SOX!

Your the best,
                                                          Thanks again,

B. B.

• tapped holes
                                                              Eddie Cyganik
                                                              Originally posted by: Bob Berry
                                                              Comments posted by: E. Cyganik

So what you are saying is all off the tapped hole threads are visible and you need to supress the visibility of those that are unnecessary.
                                                              No Bob, just the opposite.
                                                              I said everything worked fine and that I could work in multiple view display modes and that I could show/hide cosmetic threads using several techniques.

As you may be able to guess, there is a lot of stuff that goes inside the housings I sent you. All with tapped holes.

This is still a work around as the software will not omit those behind the section line and shows holes that don't belong in the end view.
                                                              By default, no cosmetic threads display in any view until they are addressed.

The VAR and I got this to happen on both our machines but as blue geontry and not hidden lines.
                                                              This color change smells like a graphics card issue.

As you show hidden lines, it is better than what I got, but still a limitation of SW if you have to physically go in and supress geometry.
                                                              I am not seeing any limitations. I believe the software is working as it should be.

I'll probably just leave em off in section views.
                                                              This does not make sense. Your VAR should be able to figure out what setting need to be set and then what procedures you should be following.
                                                                • tapped holes
                                                                  Robert Berry
                                                                  Eddie,

When I looked at Section A-A and Detal C I saw all of the hidden lines and assumed it was from the cosmetic thread feature, my bad.

It still could be a graphics issue, I will look into that further.

I am a bit dissapointed with my VAR as we pay them about $10,000.00 a year for support and I have to come onto a Discussion board to find out there is actually no problem with the software.

Again thanks for your help, I think we've beat this one to death.

B.B.