5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 7:44 PM by Bill Rose

The NEW "Edit Dimension" dialog & the most dangerous SWx default

Bill Rose
      I'd like to complain, as loudly as possible, about the changes to the edit dimension dialog. The new design is just plain dumb. And coupled with the very poorly choosen "All Configurations" as the default setting for editing dimensions you are set up to lose work.

In past versions, this destructive default was somewhat offset by the nice verbal reminder in the dialog that clearly showed you were about to change every configuration's dimension instead of only the one you were working on. Now, while there's a nice space between the data entry window and the icons, it's not being used to display the dimension's current condition. Why??? Yes, if you look very hard at the tiny icon and can remember which icon means what, the information is there but it's well short of a reminder.

Over the years I've lost more time because of this one bad default choice than anything other than SWx crashing and taking my unsaved work with it. Of course both of these things tend to happen when your're in a hurry to get the job done.

Can we fix both of these problems? Or at least set the default to the much less destructive "This Configuration" or even "Specify Configurations". Better yet, let us choose, so those that actually like it the way it is won't put up a fight. And please use the wasted space in the dialog to show us what's going on. Tiny little icons may be cute but they aren't practical......Bill
        • The NEW "Edit Dimension
          Tim Koritz
          Have you tried using the "configure" command? Right-click on the dimension/feature and go to configure. A table-based display will open showing all of the values in all configurations. You can also select multiple objects to edit in every configuration. Unless you are "fudging" a dimension I find this to be a much nicer interface for specifying values across multiple configurations.
              Joel Schmidt
              I agree. I liked seeing the words reminding me that I'm going to screw up the entire part and not just the current config. I suppose as they replace words with icons there is less to translate when they port the software into another language.
                  Mark Kaiser
                  I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here also. I've learned to live with the little icon represting all configs vs current config only. I also think the configurable dimensions box is clumsy, hard to work with. Probably since so many users use DT over manually configuring dimensions, this configure dimension box didn't get the proper attention.
                  • The NEW
                    Bill Rose
                    Hi Joel,

I'm glad there's at least two of us that have trashed a part and would like some sort of reminder.

I guess I don't want to worry about the translations, that's their problem. Our problem is trying to make sure we only do our work once.

When I first started using a lot of configurations I figured the default setting was just a mistake and it would get changed with the next big release. They've had 6 or 8 chances since then and it's still wrong....Bill
                  • The NEW
                    Bill Rose
                    Tim,

That has popped up a few times lately but I didn't know what it was. Now that I've looked at it, I'm not sure it's a substitute for the double click and edit approach. I'm glad you pointed it out -- I can imagine using it for some situations but I suspect I'll mostly use the double click method since it's less clicks and moves........Bill