7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2008 11:14 PM by 1-9C36HC

Repair sketch

Graham Dabson
      Hi all,

I frequently import DXF & DWG files into SW08 SP3.0, when trying to extrude or make as base flange in sheetmetal I get the message " The sketch cannot be used for a feature because an endpoint is wrongly shared by multiple entities". I have tried using Repair sketch but nothing seems happen. I have used Inventor in the past which had a sketch doctor tool that highlighted the problem area, making it easy to resolve the sketch. Is there a way I can get SW to do the same?
        • Repair sketch
          Jeff Sweeney
          While editing the sketch ...Tools, Sketch Tools, Check Sketch for Feature, choose the feature you are trying to create and SW will highlight the bad location.

Additionally if three or more entities share the same point, some of those entities will be a lighter line weight, this sometimes helps see the problem as well.

Since the data came from DWG, there is a good chance you have lines drawn on top of other lines?
            • Repair sketch
              What Jeff suggests is the right way to go. I have had this happen to me from time to time and it almost always is the case that there are identical overlapping sketch elements that I accidently drew twice or did not trim or eliminate.
                • Repair sketch
                  Daniel Eelman
                  It would be a great enhancement if SW could provide a sketch tool that would delete duplicated lines and merge endpoints that are within a specified distance of each other. I use AutoCAD's tool for this all the time. I recently had a SW sketch with enough issues that the best solution was to export and IGES file, import that to AutoCAD, clean it up with their tool, then bring DWG back in to a SW sketch.

Odd thing about that was, I had some lines that I repeatedly verified were only a single line, but as soon as I tried to extrude, I got the "wrongly shared endpoint" message, and a second overlapping line had been created. I was able to repeat this numerous times, and trying to extrude the part alway created a new line segment that would cause the extrude to fail. That's why the export - fix - reimport was the only solution.
                    • Repair sketch
                      The repair sketch command (Sketch Tools>Repair Sketch) does (is supposed to) eliminate overlapping sketch enitites automatically. Unfortunately, the Repair Sketch function does not have any UI to it so when it appears not to do anything, it could be.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you in this case. If you could submit and example via your VAR or post it here, that would be helpful.
                        • Repair sketch
                          Graham Dabson
                          Hi Mark, I'm not sure how to get a sample file on this forum, I've tried to attach a DXF file but had a message dis-allowing it. I'm also not sure what a VAR is! Sorry to be a bit thick.........

BUT, I have tried the route suggested by Jeff and it worked OK (still not as clear or easy as Inventor though!) but I now have a solution.
                            • Repair sketch
                              Troy Peterson
                              Graham,

Zip the file if it is a solidworks file or other file, image files (JPG) do not need to be zipped. Click "Attach File" - Click "Browse" select file from your system - Click "Upload File" Select file from list Click "Attach File"
                              • Repair sketch
                                Graham,

Sorry about the SWgeek speak, VAR stands for Value Added Retailer - basically the Local SolidWorks Reseller that you purchased your software from. they can help by submitting your issue to them.

As Troy mentioned, in this forum you can only upload jpeg's and zip files. Zip your file first then upload it to post it.