7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 4:11 PM by Chris Sobak

Large Assemblies, slow processing in drawings

Tim Koritz
      I am in charge of making drawings for our top-level assemblies. They are large assemblies (+1000 components) with many subassemblies and complicated parts. Trying to make a drawing and locate all the subassemblies is a daunting task. It is not daunting because of the number of items I have to locate but because SWx takes FOREVER to process a simple command. Every step seems to take 30 seconds longer than it should - and it adds up.

I constantly find myself "daydreaming" and having trouble staying on task because of the long processing times. Does anyone have any special techniques to stay on task while the program processes? What do you do during these "stare-at-the-screen" moments?
        • Large Assemblies, slow processing in drawings
          Chris Sobak
          Oh my I totally feel your pain. I have a large assembly that I am working on right now that has almost 2400 components in it and it seems it takes forever making drawings for it. It drives me nuts sometimes. I recently upgraded my video card to an nVidia Quadro 3700, hoping that it would help solve my problem and now I am wondering if I should get my work to get me some more RAM. I have 2 GB of ram on my PC now.

Does it also seem that that file size of the drawing is much larger than the size of the assembly to you??
              Andy Sanders
              Guys, have you tried changing this settting:

Tools-->System Options-->Drawings-->Automatically hide components on view creation

What this does is hide everything you can't see from the display of any view. This has the same effect as right clicking each item in the tree and picking "hide component". It just does it automatically.

I've found it to speed up things a bit.

Also, is it possible to have the designers create simplfied configurations of the assemblies? Of course, you don't want this on views that you create your BOM from, but it's a way to reduce the overhead on views that don't need EVERYTHING shown.
                  Chris Sobak

Andy Sanders wrote:

Guys, have you tried changing this settting:

Tools-->System Options-->Drawings-->Automatically hide components on view creation
                  What this does is hide everything you can't see from the display of any view. This has the same effect as right clicking each item in the tree and picking "hide component". It just does it automatically.

Thanks for the Tip I will try that and I am sure it will help speed things up a bit.