17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2008 8:24 PM by Kirk Jess

Loving the "S" key

Hi All ,

I've been using 08 sp3.1 for a couple-o-weeks now and I have to say that I'm really digging it. I have noticed some graphics issues from time to time , but I think that may be more related to my video card more than SW. I especially like how easy it is to customize your tools from part to assembly to drawings , using the "Shortcut Bar". It's allowed me to turn off all of my toolbars. Everything I (typicaly) need is right there. And as you go , if there is a command that you find you need to add or want to remove , right click the shortcut bar and customize. VERY COOL!!

Try it out if you haven't allready.
        • Loving the "S
          Andy Sanders
          I agree 100%.

I keep having to remind my co-workers to use it though.
            • Loving the "S
              Charles Culp
              As I discussed in this thread: http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...atid=24&threadid=8232

I now (2008) only use the shortcut toolbar (S), and hotkeys. I don't use the command manager at all. Once in a rare while I will have to go up to the regular toolbar (File, Edit, View, etc), and pick a command that I use infrequently. Typically my mouse stays over the model. I consider this a significant improvement over my previous habits.

Ofcourse, the only downfall is that you will not be able to use SW2007 or earlier! You will keep hitting the S key. Infact, I find that I try and use the S key in all design programs (Photoshop, Visio, you name it!). It just doesn't work; how unfortunate.
            • Loving the "S
              Steve Rauenbuehler
              I totally agree - major cool.

One thing I changed, however, and it's increased my speed even more....

Since I use a SpacePilot, I was always looking down at the keyboard to "re-find" the "S" key - (if you look in the dictionary under "hunt-and-peck" typist, you'll see my picture). So, I re-mapped the ShortCut Bar to my Spacebar - check it out! it's the biggest key on the keyboard! No more takin' my eyes off the screen. I hardly ever used the default "View Orientation" anyway, at least ever since I got my SpacePilot.....
                • Loving the "S
                  Daniel Eelman
                  I am just starting to dabble with 2008, so I started checking out the S key shortcut. It is definitely cool, but I was wondering if there would be any way to re-map that to a Ctrl+Right Click? Since I have my mouse thumb button as a Ctrl, this would be an easy, one-handed means of getting that menu, that is not too different than accessing the regular RMB menu.
                    • Loving the "S
                      Dan

I wasn't able to map anything to Ctrl-RightClick. Maybe someone else would know how though?
                        • Loving the "S
                          Charles Culp
                          You have to use mouse mappings with your mouse drivers to make that happen. If you have good drivers they can even be program specific. I know that the default windows drivers are not good enough, as they do not allow for mapping buttons to shortcut keys.

Then you have to map the shortcut key set up in your drivers to CTRL-right click. Not that all of this may not be possible because you are combining keyboard keys with mouse clicks...

Edit:
                          Dan,
                          After re-reading your post, I realized that you already mapped your thumb button to CTRL. Thus however you mapped the thumb button, also map the right button in the same fashon. Hopefully you can use that method to map "thumb + right" to (S).
                    • Loving the
                      Mahir Abrahim
                      I don't know of any mouse driver that can map two mouse clicks to another key. However, you can use a macro scripting program like Autohotkey to do exactly what you're looking for. Specifically, you can selectively map Ctl+Right-Click to "s" only while SolidWorks is active.
                        • Loving the
                          Daniel Eelman
                          Thanks for the input guys.

Mahir, I was not familiar with Autohotkey before, so I checked it out. That's a nifty piece of freeware, and I was able to map the S key just like I wanted. It took a little figuring out of the syntax, but with a little more time, I can probably come up wtih some other nice shortcuts & remapping.

If anyone else is interested in using this, the line you need to add in the script file is:
                          ^RButton::Send s

I did not try to get fancy and make it program specific, so this makes Ctrl+RMB send an "s" in any application.

Thanks again!
                        • Loving the
                          Mahir Abrahim
                          Hi Dan,

Glad I could help. To make it program specific isn't too complicated. Try this.

#IfWinActive, SolidWorks
                          ^RButton::Send s
                          • Loving the "S
                            Brandon Werdel
                            Now, if SW would only incorporate a Hotbox similar to Maya...
                            • Loving the
                              Jason Capriotti
                              Anyway to map this to a spaceball button?