1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 26, 2008 10:25 AM by Christopher Pinto

importing

Shawn Austin
      Hi

I am importing an object from an external program into solidworks. I receive an error that says "model exceeds dimensional limits Use corrects units or scaling in options menu" I have tried just about every unit. The object I am importing was surface created from micro CT scans. The object is only 5mm in diameter and has circular cracks on the surface that are about 10^-4 m. Could the error indicate that the model is too big or too small? I have this problem importing as a surface. When I import as a body I get no figure at all or could it be that it is just too small and needs to be scaled up? I have tried nanometers and microns for units also.
        • importing
          Christopher Pinto

Shawn Austin wrote:

Hi

I am importing an object from an external program into solidworks. I receive an error that says "model exceeds dimensional limits Use corrects units or scaling in options menu" I have tried just about every unit. The object I am importing was surface created from micro CT scans. The object is only 5mm in diameter and has circular cracks on the surface that are about 10^-4 m. Could the error indicate that the model is too big or too small? I have this problem importing as a surface. When I import as a body I get no figure at all or could it be that it is just too small and needs to be scaled up? I have tried nanometers and microns for units also.

Hi Shawn,
          To me it looks like you are most probably doing an STL import. In any case your data should not lie close to the modeling limits which are -500M to +500M in the x, y or z directions. Please check if you can correct the problem in the external program, so that the output is not close to these limits.

regards,