17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 12:57 PM by Jon Brunke

Change Category

Jason Capriotti
      Is there anyway to change a parts "Category" after its set?

I can't delete the category because several files are using it but I can't seem to find a way to change it.
        • Change Category
          Jake Smith
          You can't change the category without deleting the document and adding it back in.

We no longer use categories for this reason. We keep the standard "-" and only use workflows.

Jake
          • Change Category
            Jeff Sweeney
            yeah...does anyone really see an advantage to categories? I don't get it.
            • Change Category
              Jason Capriotti
              Sorry to dig this back up but was wondering if anyone here uses Categories and if so, how do they use it. Not being able to change the Category seems to be a major disadvantage, although the admin guide mentions that you can rename them. But I could see in the future someone wanting to add a new category and change existing files to that new category.

Can this be done via the API?
                • Change Category
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Jason -

You might be better served by creating a variable 'category' and assigning a list of values so that you can change it at will.

Joy
                    • Change Category
                      Jason Capriotti
                      Probably so......its just that the category is there and it shows up in the column view so I thought maybe we could use it.
                        • Change Category
                          Joy Garon
                          Hi Jason,

I understand, but, because of the flexibility you want, it's better to create the variable and place it on the datacard. Don't forget that you can create your own additions to the column view (and display your variable).

Cheers,
                          Joy
                            • Change Category
                              I wondering why guys from SW give us advices how to avoid using features from their software. I think that the first good thing, in using categories, is that is an easy way for admin of pdm. I use categories for settings in workflows. Without using categories I must enter a lot of conditions for each file type.
                                • Change Category
                                  Joy Garon
                                  Nucu,

We are not telling you not to use features. Sometimes the features do not do everything you wish, so, we are merely offering suggestions.

Regards,
                                  Joy
                                  • Change Category
                                    Calvin Nelson
                                    You also have to remember that this feature remains from the earliest versions of the software as Conisio, well before SW had control over it. And they can't just eliminate it, since I'm sure there are customers who are using the categories b/c that's what was available when they first implemented.
                                • Re: Change Category
                                  Jon Brunke

Jason,

I use categories along with workflow transition links to "change Categories" so a files category can be changed.

Jason Capriotti
                                      Where are you changing the category?
                                          Jon Brunke

Jason,

Note to myself:

1. Never try to respond to something on a public forum in a hurry.

2. Don't get overly enthusiastic about the prospect of being able to help someone out.

3. Always carefully read what I'm responding to.

4. Always carefully consider whether my response actually answers the question posed.

In the absence of these actions:

1. Be prepared to publicly embarrass myself.

2. Have a clean knife and fork at the ready for the big fat plate of crow I'm going to have to eat.

I was incorrect, the mechanism we use does not in fact change an items category, just the workflow and applicable states (boy this crow tastes nasty).

Now for feeble attempt to rationalize our use of categories:

I never considered a search by category given our focus here. Our workflow states include an abbreviated reference to our group companies.  So if an items state is “WIL Initial” I know it’s currently in the “Wilmington” group company’s workflow (and under their control).  The associated category, CAD-Wilmington, remains so regardless of the workflow transitions I referred to in my previous post.

When we transfer an item to a different workflow the difference between category and group company workflow state at best provides a way to search for those items later.  I suppose the category would let everyone know which group originally created the item (even though it is currently under another groups design control).

We transfer items to other group workflows periodically to allow them to work on our items and they transfer them back to us when they are finished. Again the category and state difference could be used to flag items in that condition and would help to ensure they are eventually transferred back to us.

Given the focus I never thought about categories beyond ensuring they control what documents can be checked into a given folder.

Now that my feeble rationalization is done I will give serious consideration to the “flexibility” inherent in Joy’s variables approach…   as soon as I finish the rest of this nasty crow.

Devon Sowell

Hi Joy-

That's a great tip, thanks for sharing.

Devon

Ben Kalinowski

Hi Jason,

I'm considering using categories since you can assign them without the user doing "anything", ie. if a file gets saved into a folder or a has a cetain variable value it automatically gets a certain category.

I'm forming a method now to store our job files and there are 2 schools of thought.  One is to organize files by function and assign variables to maintain job numbers, etc.  The other is to store files using templates to create job folders with predefined structure.  It looks like you could use categories in either setting so searching can be done later.......which brings me to my next question:

Can you search by Category?  I really think you can, but I can't put my finger on how.  Maybe I need a new thread here..

Thanks

Ben