4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 2:58 PM by Michael Lawrence

SW2014 SP5 continues to crash while doing just about anything.

April Wilks

SW2014 SP5 continues to crash while doing just about anything. I will work for a little while and then it will crash. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, how did you correct this? I have checked my Video and Graphics settings and all are set to what SW requires. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

• Re: SW2014 SP5 continues to crash while doing just about anything.
          Jeff Mirisola

How old is the computer? Could it be faulty/bad hardware? Maybe your RAM?

April Wilks

This computer was built about two months ago. Here are the specs that I have for this:

I have had this computer crash, to the blue screen, I am sure you can guess what screen this is, so it could be. I don't know the best way to troubleshoot that problem. It seems that SW is the only program that is giving me any problems at the moment. The amount of open windows doesn't seem to effect the frequency as it will crash no matter what I try. I thought that perhaps the processor was maxing itself out for too long so I tried to monitor that in the background. I read that if you overclock the CPU, it could potentially crash SW but I have not done that with my CPU. SO this is where I am at currently.....

Andy Sanders

If you're blue screening, it's a driver/hardware issue.  Do a Solidworks RX and capture the crash.  It will ask to collect system data which you can send off to your VAR for troubleshooting.  That is, if you can reproduce the crash consistently.

Use the "Problem Capture" tab and follow the directions.

If it's blue screening, there should be some error files generated somewhere your VAR can also analyze.

If nothing else, call your VAR and explain what you're telling us and they will help.

It's what part of your maintenance fee pays for

Good luck!

Michael Lawrence

Hi April,

As Andy said create an RX and get in contact with your VAR if it is a SolidWorks problem they should be able to help fix it.

But just some extra pointers, do you use any other programs other than SolidWorks? Often a failing computer is missed as it always seems to happen when SolidWorks is being used - because that's all that user actually does. It may be worth trying to run a benchmark software such as FutureMark to test your computer and to see if the same blue screen problem rears its head - if it does then it is likely to be a hardware/driver problem. If it works fine and performs as expected then it is more likely to be a problem with SolidWorks.

Something else which can help to diagnose your problem would be to run SolidWorks in Software OpenGL. Open the SolidWorks RX (Start>All Programs>SolidWorks 2014>SolidWorks Tools>SolidWorks RX 2014.) Then on the home page, at the bottom there should be a link to start SolidWorks in Software OpenGL - if it runs OK here, then this helps to point at a problem with your graphics card or its driver.

Regards,

Michael