4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2008 1:11 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Select Sub Assy

Wayne Tiffany
      In 2008 we now have the opportunity to RMB on a part and Select Sub Assembly. This will select the whole sub that it's in rather than having to select that sub in the tree. However, I would think that one of the most useful tasks at that point would be to open that sub and I don't find a way to do that.

I find that I can hit any hotkey, which I have "i" set to Isolate and it works very well for that. I can also click on an icon such as Edit Component. But I don't find any way to invoke the Open This Part/Assy command. If I select the assy and then LMB or RMB to be able to click the open icon, then it only opens the particular part that is clicked on. If I RMB out in space, open isn't an option there among all the others.

Have I overlooked it somewhere?

WT
        • Select Sub Assy
          Andy Sanders
          Wayne,

I just tried it, and you can open the sub assembly.

Right click on the sub and hit "Select Sub Assembly"
          Then, a small box pops up, showing the structure.

Right click on the sub assembly you want to open and pick the icon to "open assembly".

It actually works pretty good.
            • Select Sub Assy
              Wayne Tiffany
              I must be loading something differently as I don't see that either on my 64 bit install or another 32 bit install. How about showing me a screen shot of what you are seeing.

After I select the sub, there isn't anything else that shows up in the graphics area. Or are you talking about the sub scrolling into view in the tree and opening from there?

WT
                • Select Sub Assy
                  Andy Sanders
                  Wayne,

Here's a screenshot.

Right click the sub, pick "Select Sub Assembly"
                  Right click the sub you want to open in the pop up box
                  Pic the pop up icon on top of the list for "Open Assembly"
                    • Select Sub Assy
                      Wayne Tiffany
                      Ah ha! I see the difference!

You only get that box if the part you pick is in a sub that is in a sub. Basically it's asking you which sub you want to select since the selected part is inside more than one sub. Kind of like when you are editing a part inside an assy and you hit Save. It then asks which one of the files you want to save.

So the next logical question has to be how's the best way to get the open functionality when the selected part is only one level deep. What we need is access to the Open Part icon that is very common on the context tool bars. The icon looks just like the one for Open, which is the Windows Open dialog. But this isn't the correct command for Open this part. Anyone know how to get to it?

WT