9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2008 1:28 AM by Kevin Silbert

Lost files with Enterprise

Rhett Rathbone
      We are having an issue with lost files that are checked into Enterprise. Some of our engineers are losing hours/days worth of work. We are trying to take an existing job, do a SaveAs to the new job, and re-point the existing references to the new job folder/parts/assemblies. In theory this seems pretty straight forward, but in actual practice it has turned into a nightmare for us here.

Our work process has been as follows:

1) Admin copys entire existing job to new job directory (minus those parts referencing our parts library). All related files appear to be saved correctly, then Admin proceeds to MANUALLY re-point all external references in each file to the new file (we are doing this because there is an existing bug that prevents this from happening automatically). Admin saves all files, closes SW, reopens files in SW and can verify that the references updated to the new job appropriately.

2) User 2 then opens the new job but the references all point back to the existing job.

Any ideas?

As mentioned above, we are aware of a current bug that does not allow the 'repointing' of references while doing a SaveAs (in the automated version). It is my hope though that we can at least do this manually.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Rhett
        • Lost files with Enterprise
          Wayne Tiffany
          First the obvious things - never hurts to run through them again.

1. Make sure that you don't have anything of the old location open, because if the file names are the same, it will use what's in memory first.

2. Are there any subassy's that are not writable? You can change references but they may not stick if they are actually in subs that don't save.

3. Do you generate drawings by doing one, save it, save as the next name, delete the views, add the new part views? If so, you might find that opening one of those drawings is actually loading something into memory that you don't realize. There can be a reference carried in the drawings in that the View Palette hangs onto the old stuff, thereby loading each time.

4. When we copy a job, my preference is to use Pack and Go. That way I only bring the stuff that's actually used and the references seem to work properly. You may have to do it more than once to get everything depending on your structure, but it might be worth a try to test. Keep in mind that it also gives you the opportunity to uncheck your library parts, and you can also add a prefix or suffix to each file name to make it unique to that job. That way you can open them both at the same time.

WT
              Mike Sveda
              I'd try useing pack-n-go or Copy Tree instead of SAVEAS
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Rhett -

When you say admin copys entire existing job... where is this being done? in the vault or outside the vault? Also, what tool is being used to perform the copy? or is he just using windows copy?

Do not use pack-n-go in the vault. This tool is meant for use outside the vault.
                  Within the vault you should use Copy Tree.

Regards,
                  Joy
                      Rhett Rathbone
                      Thank you all for the suggestions.

Wayne, I will look into the method of operation used to actually copy the files, this may be a simple fix.

As for Mike and Joy,
                      We are currently using Enterprise 2008 SP 2.0 w/ SolidWorks 2008 SP 3.0 our current experience with the 'Copy Tree' functionality in Enterprise is that it does not re-point the references to the new files (we make extensive use of Top-Down design, so it is a must have for us...). This has been confirmed by SolidWorks as a 'Current limitation of the software' so that leaves us somewhat 'dead in the water' regarding the 'Copy Tree' function. As a result of that feature not working like we had hoped we have tried Pack-n-Go, but currently on several of our machines, when using this feature it freezes up and we have to use Task Manager to kill the app. (Could this be because of trying to copy/move files in the Vault? with Pack-n-Go rather than Copy Tree? I will test and let you know...) So that leaves us with Save As w/in SolidWorks, which similar to 'Copy Tree', this does not repoint the references, and haphazardly doesn't copy files (some do, some don't, with no consistent pattern), etc...

At this point we are 'fit to be tied', we need a resolution to this issue and pronto, as deadlines are fast approaching, and we are not making any forward progress. What should be a 10 minute task has turned into two weeks of fighting with the software.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Rhett
                          Kevin Silbert
                          When the user opens- do they use Lightweight? I've always suspected that Lightweight "forgets" some of the most recent changes to external reference pointers. Try having them open the assembly with nothing lightweight...?
                            Joy Garon
                            Hi All,

Rhett has found a real issue that occurs when you are trying to copy a project that has multiple subfolders. For example, take the folder structure below:

Project ABC
                            ---Drawings
                            -----Assemblies
                            -----Parts
                            ---Models
                            -----Assemblies
                            -----Parts

You want to take an assembly drawing located in Project ABC > Drawings > Assemblies and copy it and all its references to a new project folder Project DEF and preserve all the sub folders. The problem is preserving the sub folders. The tool works fine if you flatten to a single folder.
                            I am still looking for a workaround. If anyone else has found a workaround where opening the copied assembly drawing has the correct references, that is what is needed.

UPDATE: okay - I found a workaround.
                            Clear the 'Flatten to a single folder checkbox' during pack and go. After the Pack go is complete, drag the folders to the correct locations under the root project folder and delete the extraneous folders.
                            Before opening the assembly or assembly drawing in SolidWorks, make sure that Tools > Options > File Locations > Referenced Documents is not looking at the old paths.

Regards,
                            Joy
                                Kevin Silbert
                                So, to be sure I understand (since this will be very important to me in the next week as I roll out Enterprise here):
                                1: We should never ever use Pack-n-Go to copy things INTO the vault
                                2: As a workaround (until Copy Tree gets fixed) we could use it to copy files from the vault OUT of the vault (temporarily) and then move them into the vault

Any ETA estimates for getting Copy Tree fixed? I'm trying to decide if we should hold up the rollout here- our initial steps will involve some initial cleanup and then a Copy Tree command on an entire project folder...
                                    Joy Garon
                                    Hi Kevin -

Actually I was using Pack-n-Go in the vault. You just have to be careful to set the reference paths correctly for the pack-n-go and remember to clear them after the pack-n-go.

I do not know when and if the Copy Tree issue will be addressed. I would advise all users who need to preservse sub folders to submit an enhancement request.

Regards,
                                    Joy
                                        Kevin Silbert
                                        If anyone is following along at home, I definitely misunderstood. There seems to be a known problem with the Tools/Options/File Locations/Referenced Documents- it seems that if there are folders listed there, they may take preference over the locations saved in the files... Bad. Keep that location clean.

However, Pack And Go relies on this location to search for drawings- you need to point it to the directories that drawings might be in if you want them included in the "Packing" and "Going". But you have to empty this directory list when you're done or you'll suffer file referencing confusion due to the above problem.

I'm still unclear on whether the Copy Tree problem Rhett is having is related to this problem, but it seems to be working as expected here with no folders in that Tools/Options area (SW SP3.0, PDMWE SP2.0).

Pack and Go, when preserving directory structure, adds the FULL path of the existing folders into the destination directory. So you could end up with something like C:\Documents and Settings\user\desktop\folder\Documents and Settings\user\folder\subfolder. This is not the end of the world; just let it do it's copy and then get rid of the extra folders in the middle manually. This is what Joy was referring to when suggesting we put in Enhancement Requests.