13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 1:11 AM by Jerry Steiger

Black Background After SW Opens

Wayne Bird
      I'm running SW2008. After running this for about two weeks, SW now opens to a black background with the DS SolidWorks barely visible. Before it opened with a light gray background and the DS SolidWorks very visible. Nothing changed on the computer so I don't know what could be causing this.

Any ideas?

Wayne
        • Black Background After SW Opens
          Rhett Rathbone
          It sounds like a graphics card issue, check that you have the latest driver for your card. Also, try a fresh reboot, with no other programs running, open SW. If it does it then, verify that your graphics card is certified for the new version of SW.

Rhett
            John Lhuillier
            Mine switches back and forth between grey & black with approved graphics card & driver. The answer I got from SW support is this

"The black background and Task Pane icon backgrounds are typically caused by a graphics memory resource problem. I see the same behavior every once in a while on my system. If the SW window is made smaller it will usually update to show the light gray color and at that point if I close other applications such as Internet Explorer or Outlook I can then maximize SolidWorks and the colors are still correct."

The graphics engine in 2008 IMHO is the worst one they've ever had. I have 3 computers with 3 different Nvidia approved cards and drivers and constantly get them switching to use OpenGL by themselves. Never had an issue with it doing this in all previous versions. Wonder how much money someone could make selling a backwards compatible translator to go back to 2001+ when SW actually worked like you thought it should.
              Kelvin Lamport
              Are the colours correct in a new or existing part/assy?

Are other programs running OK?

There have been several Windows OS updates this week; maybe one of those has changed something. Do you use the automatic Express Install option for Windows Update?
                  Wayne Bird
                  Thanks everyone for your input. I do have the latest approved driver installed before all this occurred. I did not have any OS updates automatically installed. I uninstalled the latest driver and installed an earlier version and everything is good. I'll see how long this lasts. As stated earlier, the latest driver worked good for just over a week.

Thanks again.
                      Rob Jensen
                      I get the same thing.

Are any of you running laptops while this happens?? I talked to my var about this and he has the same PC as I do (M90) and he siad it's when his PC gets too hot.

If you have a laptop, I'd try getting a cooler fan. I have a little fan behind my laptop running and the problem doesn't happen as much.
                      Neal Rusy
                      I have seen this on 2 different Machines the old one with a NVIDA 540 with the latest drivers and my new Machine with a NVIDA1700 with the latest drivers!
                      Boy 2001+ that brings back some memories when life was simple with SW like 1 disk installs, service packs that actually helped and you did not need to be a
                      Programmer to install them. Thanks for that flash back
                          Rob Jensen

Neal Rusy wrote:

I have seen this on 2 different Machines the old one with a NVIDA 540 with the latest drivers and my new Machine with a NVIDA1700 with the latest drivers!

Boy 2001+ that brings back some memories when life was simple with SW like 1 disk installs, service packs that actually helped and you did not need to be a

Programmer to install them. Thanks for that flash back

Wasn't that nice...?? It went from a hour install to a week to try and figure out all the new tricks, options, etc. that SW doesn't share with ANYONE on the installation.

Larry Kutcher
                        I get this black background and Icon as well "every once and a while" after closing out all the active windows.
                        Seems to occur more after long stints of use, ~6 hours or more of consistent usage without a restart of SW.
                          Brandon Werdel
                          I'm experiencing the same black-background issue. When SW2008 SP3.1 is maximized, the application background is black. When it's size is reduced, the background turns to the normal gray SolidWorks image. Closing applications does not change things. I'm running a Quadro FX 1000 video card.

Because many other people are experiencing the same problem, I do not think it's an issue with video card drivers, available video memory, heat, etc... it's simply a software bug.