1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 1:13 PM by Christina Seay

Dispatch Runtime Variables and setting Variables

Carl Graff
      The documentation for the Dispatch module IMO is pretty sparse which is a shame because I think it is is potentially a great tool.

In particular the use if variables is not well documented and examples of doing some very useful tings would be welcome.

For eample:
      1. What are Runtime Variables used for and an example of there use.
      2. How to create a temporary file name that can be used with Generate Parameter File so you can add all selected files to a single unique file name and have a 'handle' th the unique name for later use in the script.

I have tried setting and reading an environment variable and other tricks and I'M sure I can write a custom program to do this - BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE SO HARD. Would it be so much to ask so simply be able to assign a datetime value to a variable that you could use later with the same retained value assigned to it.

The cure to all this might be to add a simple SET USER VARIABLE command so that you could set a value to a user variable and then simple use it later by enclosing it in percent signs. Is that what the runtime variable is supposed to do - if so I can't find how to do this in the documentation.