Carl Graff

Dispatch Runtime Variables and setting Variables

Discussion created by Carl Graff on Mar 12, 2008
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 by Christina Seay
The documentation for the Dispatch module IMO is pretty sparse which is a shame because I think it is is potentially a great tool.

In particular the use if variables is not well documented and examples of doing some very useful tings would be welcome.

For eample:
1. What are Runtime Variables used for and an example of there use.
2. How to create a temporary file name that can be used with Generate Parameter File so you can add all selected files to a single unique file name and have a 'handle' th the unique name for later use in the script.

I have tried setting and reading an environment variable and other tricks and I'M sure I can write a custom program to do this - BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE SO HARD. Would it be so much to ask so simply be able to assign a datetime value to a variable that you could use later with the same retained value assigned to it.

The cure to all this might be to add a simple SET USER VARIABLE command so that you could set a value to a user variable and then simple use it later by enclosing it in percent signs. Is that what the runtime variable is supposed to do - if so I can't find how to do this in the documentation.

Outcomes