9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 1:47 PM by David O'Lone

Is FloWorks the only way??

Simon Oldfield
      We wish to model some flow split chambers, unfortunatly they have one inlet, and several outlets ruling out the use of the Xpress version - is FloWorks the onjly viable way of doing it, as we need to justify the £6K+ purchase price on top of our premium licenses we already run!
        • Is FloWorks the only way??
          Basil Gello
          Simon,
          look in the web for free CFD packs, maybe you will be lucky with them.

Regards, Basil
            Simon,
            What are you asking? Do you need some one to run it so that you can show need and a reason to purchase Floworks or are you looking for a cheaper way to get the job done?

kf6syh@yahoo.com
                Basil Gello
                Yeah, post the model here and be sure once you will get it calculated...
                Regards, Basil
                    Simon Oldfield
                    We dont have any specific models, and i couldnt post them here if we did, not if i want to keep my job anyway!!

The questions is simply is FlowWorks the only option, we are happy to spend money, but it has to be the right package, and at such an early stage justifying the 6K price tag is hard, so i am looking for alternative packages, simply to help assure them they are spending on the right one...
                        Simon,
                        A quick search of the internet has many other options from open source to way more expensive. The question is, if you already have Solidworks, do you really want to learn a new program. The end result is that you get what you pay for. Floworks is not the most expensive and not the most powerful. If you want to make sure that it is worth the company's money, maybe you should ask it there is an engineering company that can do the analysis for your company using Floworks. The question of cost might become moot once they get a few bills for services rendered and see how well the product improves.
                        Another option is to see if your Solidworks distributor can give you a full trail version for evaluation.
                        Personally I have not used any other flow program.

Bill
                    Brian Park
                    We used a consultant to model our airflow issues with an electronics package to see how Floworks simulated the problem. It worked well, management liked it and we now have the package in house. The demo cost us around $2500.

bp
                      David O'Lone
                      We have a number of systems on our system-Flowizard, Fluent, and Floworks. The biggest advantage with using Floworks is that it is compatiable with Solidworks. Although it is possible to use Fluent and Flowizard, I have had experience trying to import complicated Solidworks assemblies into these programs and it doesn't work well.

In my opinion if your company uses Solidworks already you would save alot of hassle with exporting/importing if you were to opt for Floworks