AnsweredAssumed Answered

NEW WORKSTATION ISSUES DELL T3400

Question asked by JAMES PARE on Mar 10, 2008
Latest reply on Mar 19, 2008 by Gary Garrison
Hi
any information or suggestions would be very much appreciated
I am working on a new work station & I am finding that the performance of this new workstation not to be to my expectations
Dell Precision T3400
Intel core duo cpu
2.66 GHz. 3.00 GB of ram
quadro FX1500 or Fx3500
(have tried both graphic cards in my station)
Hyper thread turned off & 3gb switch turned on

When I first received this work station the performance seemed to be exceptional
Designing a door check fixture for tier 1 automotive company which requires me to have their (catia) translated door ass'y files in my SWX session

after a week of working on this project the performance of my workstation seemed to drop off substantially, load times grew exponentially & crashes seem to multiply

randomly after crashing my graphics driver would be turned off,, after many restarts the driver would eventually kick back on,

my first attempt at a fix was to install the latest graphic driver, which seemed to work, but after a few days of working on this project, the performance dropped off again.

i am no computer expert, but the problem seems like that the memory or graphics card is not erasing its memory, thats its filling up,

suggestion was that it could be a the graphics card, so I changed the 3500fx for a 1500fx, once again the problem seem to be fixed, but after working on the project for the day, the performance dropped as usual

I am not sure what to try next, I have contacted dell tech service & their only suggestion was to turn all services off other then the required Microsoft services

this fix does not seem to have any benefit to performance

i am including below a copy of my boot file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

It is imperative I determine what my next step should be
Is there any suggestions for a work station, i should have purchase ??? or will purchase in the future

Anyone with any knowledge or advice please contact me
thank-you very much in advance

James Pare

Outcomes