6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2008 12:27 PM by Sean Surber

Extension Line Break around Arrows

Mark  Hines
      Hello, I'm a new convert from Inventor. So I'm still learning this tool. In previous tools when I had an arrow overlap an extension line there was a quick and easy way to break it. Drafting standards suggest to break an extension line in this type of case. How would I go about this? Co-Worker could not give me an answer. I heard things like - work around it so you don't have these situations - and draw a line off the corner and dim from that and pull the base point out. These are only work arounds. I'm looking for a solid answer one way or the other, is this possible in SolidWorks or no?
        • Extension Line Break around Arrows
          Eddie Cyganik

Mark,

Tools - Options - Document Properties - Detailing - Dimensions - Brek dimension extension/leader lines.

Also, for individual settings, there is a "Break Lines" box in the Property Manager for dimensions.
              Mark  Hines
              Eddie, Thanks for the reply. I found that as well when I did my initial research into this topic. But, I did not find that it helped. What that does is to break extension lines if you were to have one go through a dimension line and not if an extension line goes through an arrow. It's bad detailing practice to have an extension line go through a dimension line, even if it is broken.

Even though the Document Properties - Dimensions - Break dimension extension/leader lines - break around dimension arrows only box is checked it does not do what it suggests it does.
                  Eddie Cyganik

Mark,

I tried to answer your question by telling you what SolidWorks provides for breaking extension lines. Although this may be considered bad practice, it is legal.

Getting to the point, if and when functionality does not work or does not work properly, well that is a VAR/SolidWorks issue.

Sorry, I have no work-around for these problems.

The only suggestion I can think of is to use a "slanted" dimension to avoid the original issue.
                      Mark  Hines
                      Eddie, Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't shooting down your suggestion. Mearly stating that SW has that feature there and it's not good practice to have a extension line go through the center of a dimension. Every house I've been part of will mark that type of thing up as soon as they see it. And starting in the industry many years ago as a detailer I learned quick what is good and what isn't.

The terminology SW is using in that location in the options suggests the option I'm looking for is there, but alas; it does not work that way.

In the mean time it looks like everything will end up being Ordinate.

Thank you again for your replies.
                          Eddie Cyganik

Mark,

No Harm/No Foul.

It is my sarcasm that is hard to interpret.

You hit the nail on the head; The capability is "supposedly" there but the functionality does not work.

One more thing to be add to the ever-growing list of things that need to be fixed.
                              Sean Surber
                              I just thought I would add to this post by mentioning that I am have the same issue. The problem I am having is that some lines will break and others won't. I have tried and tried and just cannot get some of my lines to break and it is annoying!

EDIT: I found out the reason for my lines not breaking was because I was creating the dimensions in a part with a broken view added. I took off the broken view to redo the dimensions in the normal state and the dimension lines started to break.