5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 12:57 PM by Keith Frankie

How would you manage buckling calculations without buckling module in Solid Works ?

Grzegorz Janisz

Hej,

I actually have a problem. I wanted to calculate if model is stable but now I don't have buckling module in Solid Works. I used to use Robot Analysis for structural calculations but is there any chance to calculate it in Solid Works Premium?

I know that I can use Euler Equation and it returns quite reasonable results, but maybe, basing on your experience there is a way to calculate it with only Solid Works Premium. I attach screen of model below.

Thanks !

• Re: How would you manage buckling calculations without buckling module in Solid Works ?
          Keith Frankie

If I read the SW product matrices correctly you have access to "static" studies only with your "SW Premium" license.

You should be able to activate the "large displacements" flag to invoke the nonlinear solver.  You'll be missing most of the features of the "nonlinear" study type, but it should be close enough.  You'll be required, unfortunately, to use a solid mesh (which will really slow this down).

For the attached part the first "static" study, titled "static only" solve with a load of 20,000 lbs.  The study has been copied over to create the second "static" study called "static large displacement".  The "large displacement" option has been turned on under the study properties.  Now the study runs at 15,000 lbs but fails at 16,000 lbs.  This indicates the buckling load is somewhere between these two points.

Using SW Simulation Professional to confirm this the buckling load is found to be 15,764 lbs.

• Re: How would you manage buckling calculations without buckling module in Solid Works ?
              Grzegorz Janisz

Hi Keith,

I checked it on a simple post and it failed on 21 kN exactly like equations results

However What If I had landing like the one I attach ? I checked it and it didn't fail even with 85 kN on Landing. I'm not sure but I have a feeling that keeping 85kN it wouldn't be stable. What happened if you analyse it with buckling mode ?

P.S. Yes, I have only static analysis.

Keith Frankie

Nice simplified test assembly.

A SW buckling study says that with a 10 kN vertical load failure will occur at a load factor of 22.  That scales the sideways force too.  I got the 'large displacement' study to run at 160 kN (with solver restart), but not at 180 kN.  I noticed one of the C channels on top is twisting a lot.  I split that surface and removed the load from the center half of the span.  This does make the static 'large displacement' study run for higher loads.  I'd assume you're more worried about column buckling than C channel twisting.  Of course this leads to unequal column loading, but oh well.  The buckling study now says load factor of 24.

With the 85 kN load I see the posts are only displaced sideways by 25 mm, which doesn't seem like that much compared to the 80 mm post size, and considering top and bottom are fairly fixed against rotation.  What do hand calcs show for the strength of a single column under similar loading?

For the static 'large displacement' study the OUT file says 3 iterations at 10 kN load, 7 iterations at 85 kN load.