6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 9:13 PM by Scott Benzie

Re-Instling XP machine

Scott Benzie
      I'm away to re-instal my workstation, and was onering if I will lose some of my PDM Enterprise file stored on my local machine.

I am allways logged into the server, but some off the files are not checked in - will these be lost when I wipe the Hard Drive ??

Is there an easy way of checking for non-checked in files ???
        • Re-Instling XP machine
          Joy Garon
          Scott -

You MUST check in all documents prior to installing software.
          Yes, you can find all checked out documents easily by selecting search > Complete Search, select the Check In/Out tab, then check the 'Display checked out files' (uncheck 'Display non-checked out files').

Regards,
          Joy
            • Re-Instling XP machine
              Scott Benzie
              Thanks Joy,

Is it possible to copy the whole folder for PDM Enterprise to an external location e.g. server.

Then copy it back onto the fresh machine. This would reduce the effort for me checking in all the files ??

Regards,
              Scott
                • Re-Instling XP machine
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Scott,

We are talking about the files in your local cache (local view) correct?
                  Are the files already in the vault?

My concern is that if you already have metadata in the vault related to the files and their current location, you may lose the association to the files (I'm not sure as I have not tried it myself.)

Joy
                    • Re-Instling XP machine
                      Todd Puckett
                      I have had situations where windows was not working well enough to boot up, but files were able to be copied off "bad" drive before format was done. Sometimes I have to connect "bad" hard drive to working computer. USB to IDE/SATA cables work well.

Copy "checked out" files from PDMWE folder on "bad" drive to another drive
                      Logon as Admin from working computer and undo check out on all files that are checked out on "bad" drive
                      From working computer check files out
                      Overwrite checked out files with copies from "bad" drive
                      Check files in
                      • Re-Instling XP machine
                        Scott Benzie
                        If I place the files back in exactly the same folder, hopefully the meta data will be the same ..... Hmm not the "date"

Going to give it a try !!
                      • Re-Instling XP machine
                        Todd Puckett
                        Scott,
                        You mentioned taking alot of time to check in files. The easiest way is to right click on an upper level folder and choose check in. It will list all checked out files in that folder and sub-folders, now you can check them all in at once.