4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 12:05 PM by Wayne Geer

MDT2007 assemblies to Solidworks2008 conversion

Wayne Geer
      What have you found to be the best procedure to convert MDT to SolidWorks?

If I open the files in MDT and then open the main assembly in Solidworks, I lose all linear arrays, some fillets, and I don't know what else on my part files. This was following the procedure listed in help.

If I only open the part files they convert ok. This would mean I need to open the assembly, then go back and individually open each detail and overwrite the original file created when I opened the assembly. This gets time consuming since it won't let you bulk open the files. It requires a next then finish selection for each part.

Also if I open an assembly that has parts in a seperate directory below the main directory, can I set Solidworks to input the converted files back in this directory or can it only put those files in the same directory as the assembly?

Any help would be appreciated.
        • MDT2007 assemblies to Solidworks2008 conversion
          Christopher Pinto

Wayne Geer wrote:

What have you found to be the best procedure to convert MDT to SolidWorks?

If I open the files in MDT and then open the main assembly in Solidworks, I lose all linear arrays, some fillets, and I don't know what else on my part files. This was following the procedure listed in help.

If I only open the part files they convert ok. This would mean I need to open the assembly, then go back and individually open each detail and overwrite the original file created when I opened the assembly. This gets time consuming since it won't let you bulk open the files. It requires a next then finish selection for each part.

Also if I open an assembly that has parts in a seperate directory below the main directory, can I set Solidworks to input the converted files back in this directory or can it only put those files in the same directory as the assembly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Wayne,
          The translation should work as described in the help. The problem you describe about missing features, looks like an assembly specific bug. Please report this to your reseller.
          regards,

Wayne Geer
              Chris,
              I figured it was a bug and thats why it doesn't work. Do you know what people do to work around it to avoid needing to redraw the parts? I was hoping for something better than opening the assembly and then opening each part individually and copying over the part file generated when the assembly was opened.
                  Christopher Pinto

Wayne Geer wrote:

Chris,

I figured it was a bug and thats why it doesn't work. Do you know what people do to work around it to avoid needing to redraw the parts? I was hoping for something better than opening the assembly and then opening each part individually and copying over the part file generated when the assembly was opened.

Hi Wayne,

What I meant was, that this couldn't be a generic problem. I have seen this problem while working on the MDT translator and it is due to a failure in the MDT API. The API works when you read the part stand alone, but sometimes fails when you access it while traversing the assembly. We need to look at the data to figure out if we can fix the problem or suggest a better work around, hence why I suggested you report it through your reseller. For the moment reading it in part wise as you describe it, is the only way around the problem.

Regards,